Monday, October 10, 2011

Beating the Rush

In case you're unaware of the fact that Christmas is right around the corner, feel free to stand outside my daughters' door and listen to their current CD. Then again, Brooke insists on listening to her Christmas music year-round so it's not really that much of an indicator of the impending season, after all!

I'm super excited about the holiday this year because I'm won't be bogged down with the rushing around and gift buying. We decided to plan much better this year and because of that, I've got a bunch of my shopping done! The best part is that I have an envelope full of cash (that we've strategically put away throughout the past six months or so) so I can randomly pick up gifts for people on my list without having to factor its cost into the family budget. Brilliant! Why didn't we start this years ago????

Every single year I get frustrated by how the true meaning of Christmas seems to get lost in the shuffle. It's the day where we remember the birth of our Savior and His birthday should not be secondary to all of the materialism of the holiday. I'm just thankful that I'm not going to have to be pressed for time this year and that's going to allow me to enjoy the holiday so much more. All I know is that I'm not going to be worrying about money, shopping, or gifts. That is a wonderful feeling!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it great to get it done early? My dad always has everything done before Black Friday and that is what we try to do as well. I'd rather be done and enjoy things than try and deal with nutty people for a few sales. ;) Though we are horrible at saving, so praise the lord for lay-a-way plans. :)

Tiff said...

I constantly got comments about Molly's weight when she was a baby, but because she was, and is, so skinny. People would even ask if she was a preemie when they discovered what her age was, or felt they had to comment on how small she was. Thankfully now that she's 2.5 I don't get the comments really, but it bothered me a lot back then, and I still have issues with it. I don't go up to strangers saying comments about their baby, so why do they do it to me?! I just don't understand people, haha. So I'm very happy that Ben is a perfectly average size baby :-)

Tiff said...

Oops, accidentally left my comment on the wrong post! Sorry!