Sunday, July 1, 2012

New Words... Finally!

I have been worried about Bailey's lack of vocabulary for quite some time. I naturally compare her to her sisters, who began speaking at like 9 or 10 months. By this age (15 months), Brooke was saying sentences and talking quite a bit.... But Bailey, up until the past week or so, only said about 3 or 4 words. I know that children all bloom at different rates but I also have to take into consideration all of the months she went hearing at only 60-70 percent, due to her severe ear problems.  Our pediatrician says that she has absolutely no other signs of developmental delays and she can follow directions so she obviously understands words. That's reassuring but as a mom, I have still felt a little unsettled.

Very recently, however, Bailey has started to spout out words left and right! Her latest words are "please" and "thank you," and I'm especially excited because after months and months of pointing and grunting, I'm now hearing her precious little voice. She also learned what a chicken says so goes around pointing to various birds saying, "bok, bok, bok." It's adorable when we go to my mom's house because she has a rooster themed kitchen and Bailey loves it. She has also started to "Papa (my dad)" and "Nickle (her cousin)." She can also say "up," "swing," and "jump." If she's more than doubled her vocabulary in a week, I'm excited to see what the weeks ahead will bring!

I also think that my girl is far too busy to talk. Brooke and Adrienne were very laid back and they enjoyed just sitting on the floor, playing with blocks or reading books. Bailey, on the other hand, is always on the go and she can be found standing in the middle of the kitchen table (If you dare take her eyes off of her for 2 seconds), throwing all of my stuff in the trash can, unravelling countless rolls of toilet paper, etc... She's pretty crazy and I don't think she sits still when she's awake.. Ever.

I love how unique each of my children are. They all bloom at their own pace and have different things that make them "tick." It's so amazing to watch them grow into little girls and uncover new layers of their little personalities!

1 comment:

rccalyn said...

Yay for new words! Here's something to make you feel better: Roman at 19mo still only has 4 words total, and 2 of them are animal sounds! Don't you want to know what they're thinking at this age?!