Sunday, February 12, 2012

Those Darn Stairs

Well, life as we know it is now over. Bailey figured out how to climb up the stairs this week and it is consuming my life! You may ask, "Why the heck don't you just put up a gate?" What a good question! Our bottom four stairs are open and don't have a wall on both sides. It's hard to explain but my point is that it's impossible to put a gate up until you reach the 4th step... Which is high enough for her to still get hurt if she falls. What a pain!

The gate is a super huge pain in the neck because it's hard to climb over. I usually take it down when Bailey's sleeping and I have forgotten to put it back up several times. One time Brooke came running to the bathroom to tell me Bailey was on the stairs. I was expecting to see her on the bottom step but I was absolutely horrified to see that she had reached the very top of our staircase... She had climbed all 14 steps! I was majorly freaked out after that and have been far more diligent about putting the gate up.

I look forward to the novelty of the stairs wearing off. I'm not sure that will be anytime soon though, I'm afraid. It's amazing how something so common and ordinary can fascinate an almost-11-month-old! It's so exciting to watch them explore and discover the world around them but this just may be a discovery that I could do without!

No comments: