Friday, March 30, 2012

Another "Ear-y" Post

I am at the end of my rope with Bailey's ears. She has only had tubes in her ears for two months and she now has her third infection since. I really and truly thought that the tubes would fix everything, once and for all. Boy was I wrong:-(

When I went to get Bailey out of bed on Thursday morning I noticed that there was blood on her face. I looked and saw it on the sheets, too, and I at first I didn't realize where it was coming from. I quickly noticed that it was coming from her right ear so I called her ENT and got her in later that morning. The doctor looked in her ears and then determined that he had to clean them before he could even see in them because they were filled with so much garbage. After the horrible process of spraying them down and Bailey flipping out, he finally got a good enough look. Sure enough, they were severely infected, yet again. He said that perhaps these infections are one big infection that we just aren't getting rid of each time. So now we're on a two week course of Bactrim, that is giving the poor baby awful tummy troubles, and yet another month worth of ear drops, which are obviously a pain. We go back next week and if the ears aren't looking better they want to do a culture and determine what exactly this pesky bacteria is so they can figure out a different treatment plan.

The doctor also mentioned a frustrating possibility... Maybe her body is rejecting the tubes? It's not common but sometimes the body will won't accept the tubes and it treats them like an allergy and tries to flush them out. In that case, they would need to be removed and that would leave us where, exactly? GRRRR!!! I'm hoping and praying that these medications do the trick.

I was expecting to see improvement today after being on the different medicines but now her left ear is bleeding, too. I hope that tomorrow is a different story because this is just awful for her. I can only imagine how uncomfortable she must be:-(

I realize that this a small, fixable problem and that this is by no means a life threatening issue. I'm not trying to over-dramatize this or make mountains out of molehills here, but seriously, this has been going on for like 8 months now. Enough is enough!

No comments: