Monday, March 26, 2012

Crock Pot Magic

I know that my blog isn't a recipe blog, per say, but I am so excited about my latest concoction so I have to share it.. Chicken Enchilada Soup. I have served it to many people who all agree that it's amazing.. Either that, or they're just flat out lying:-) But my girls, who do NOT lie, absolutely love it! To top it off, it's super healthy. The ingredients are mostly pantry staples that I threw into a crock pot one night out of desperation for a quick lunch the next day. What more could you want?? So, without further ado, here's my recipe:

Ingredients

2 generously sized pieces of chicken (thighs or split breasts)
1 can of chili beans
1 can of enchilada sauce (I use Old El Paso mild)
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 an onion (I prefer red but anything will work)
1 lime
1 can of diced tomatoes
Cumin
Garlic Salt
1 tbs of tomato paste
One box of chicken broth (or 2 cans)
2 chicken bouillon cubes

Directions

- Remove the skin off of the chicken (Otherwise, your soup will be greasy). Place the chicken in the crock pot and cover with the chicken broth, about a cup of water, the bouillon cubes, diced tomatoes and enchilada sauce.

- Drain the beans and throw them in,

- Mince the garlic and onions and then add them.. There's no need to even cook them first.

- Squeeze the juice of a lime in (watch out for seeds!).

- Add the tomato paste, a sprinkle of cumin and garlic salt.

- Mix everything together really well.

- Turn your crock pot on high and walk away.

- After it cooks (I let mine go overnight but I bet 3 hours or so would be adequate), remove the chicken, shred it and throw it back in.


No joke, it takes 5 minutes to throw together and it's amazing! We top ours with sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips and avocado.  It's delicious!

Let me know if you try it! I would love to hear if you like it or not:-) Enjoy!

No comments: