Thursday, April 12, 2012

Spring Break = Heaven!

Brooke has been out of school for an entire week now. I hated school growing up.... More than you can ever even begin to imagine. I find myself feeling that same type of dread and sadness about her going back to school o Monday as I did for myself when I was in school.

This week I have loved having no real agenda. There has been no alarm clocks or rushing out the door to first drop her off and later pick her up.  I also love having my perky little girl at the breakfast table... She gets everyone's breakfast out each morning and sets it on the counter. It's been extra lounging in our pajamas for half the morning and not finding any real need to hurry up and get dressed. These are the things that I have missed the most having her in school this year... The simple, little things.

I find myself longing for summer break to get here. However, with summer break coming, that means that the dreaded "K" word will be soon approaching. Ah yes, kindergarten... Where could I even begin to express the way my heart feels torn in 2 at the very word alone? I have this precious girl who loves school and beams with excitement whenever we talk about kindergarten. Then you have me who is terrified, saddened and just plain NOT ready to give her up for that many hours a day. Having her gone for 2.5 hours every morning has been hard enough this year and I can't even imagine next year. I am thankful that God will give me the strength because his growing up stuff is simply not something that I can manage on my own!

It seems like just yesterday that my oldest daughter was coming home from the hospital. The thought of having a school-aged-child seemed almost laughable to me at the time. Because after all, I signed up to have a baby... Not a full blown child! Lol. Looking back, I never really pictured her as anything BUT a baby and I was truly not prepared for her to blossom so quickly into a toddler, then a preschooler, then a little girl. I'm pretty sure she'll be a teenager before I even know what hits me. If only I had listened more attentively to the wise older people that warned me about how fast the time flies!

No comments: