Saturday, January 7, 2012

Tubes

Bailey has had nothing but ear infection after ear infection for the past five months. It's really no wonder why she's such a grumpy and clingy baby... She hardly ever feels well. The antibiotics for the infections always mess her belly up, too, and this time around she got thrush on top of a super bad diaper rash. It's like three weeks of misery with each infection. So anyways,  her doctor referred her to an ENT to figure out a solution to this madness and we finally got some answers!

There was an audiologist who did a test on her ears before we met with the doctor and they found that there was lots of fluid, despite the fact that she had just finished up an antibiotic from the last infection. The doctor said that the medicines are taking the infections away but not removing the fluid, which is why she keeps having issues. Based on the fluid levels, he says her hearing levels are down by 20 to 30 percent. That's the part that really breaks my heart. I can't imagine living in a world where I constantly feel like I'm under water and I can't accurately hear what's going on in my surroundings. It chokes me up just thinking about it for my sweet Bailey girl.

The doctor automatically suggested tubes and my response was, "How soon can she have them put in??" I'm obviously not excited about putting my baby through surgery and all but I would do anything to help her start feeling better. Enough is enough! So we're scheduled for the 27th of this month. I'm anxious about that day but I have to look ahead to her future and not be afraid to do what's best for her. He said that this could have a negative impact on her speech if we don't fix it as soon as we can. It would really be silly to not go through with this.

I'm feeling so many mixed emotions about all of this right now. These past few months have been hard... She hardly ever naps during the days and she always, always has to be held by me. The days are long and I go to bed weary most nights. I'm hoping that these tubes will dramatically change her disposition... So much so that John's already warned me to not be upset if they don't! :-) Lol. He's so sweet. So anyways, these next three weeks of waiting are going to be long. I'm eager to get my girl feeling better... for her sake and mine!

No comments: