Friday, January 27, 2012

The BIG Day

Bailey had her tubes put in today. I was obviously a little anxious but I was even more excited for her to have some relief from all of the pain she's been in.My main concern was that she couldn't eat for 4 hours beforehand and I thought that she would flip out from not being able to nurse. It's funny, though, because it really wasn't such a big deal, after all!

When we got to the surgery center it all sank in and I was super nervous. It really helped that Bailey was in surprisingly good spirits and not acting too upset that she couldn't nurse... Though she did try to push the issue a time or 2! I had woken her up in the middle of the night to feed her so she wasn't starving. Once they called us back, they got some vitals on her and we met with her doctor and anaesthesiologist. Before we knew it, she was gone. She gripped on tightly to me when they tried to take her and that was hard but I knew it was for her good.

John and I waited with some people from church who had come to support us. After about 15 minutes I went to go to the bathroom and on the way back I heard my baby flipping out. I peeked in a window of the recovery room and saw them struggling with her and I wanted to go right in and pry her out of the nurses' arms. A nurse walked by and said that someone would come get me when she was settled and I was thinking.. "I'M THE ONE WHO WILL SETTLE HER!!" Only a few seconds later they got me and she was so happy to be able to nurse. She did fuss for about 20 minutes but after that, she was a completely happy and normal baby. Praise God!

The doctor said that he was able to remove a great deal of mucous and fluids from her ears and that her ear drums were stretched and bulging from the pressure. He said that she was probably in a substantial amount of pain all this time. My poor baby! He told us that we should notice a great improvement in her right away and boy, was he right... John and I were amazed today at how happy and content Bailey was. We were able to actually put her down, she took a nap in her crib (usually she has to sleep next to me and nurse!) and she didn't even fuss going to bed. I can't even express how encouraged I feel about her improvement. I look forward to the days ahead!!

I am so thankful that this day that I had been dreading turned into such a great day! It could not have gone better and I feel so relieved for my precious baby.

1 comment:

Simply Complicated said...

That is so wonderful! I was praying for you guys and that Bailey would have some relief!