Friday, November 11, 2011

Paranoid Mommy

Wednesday Brooke came home from school and there was a note in her folder about someone in her class having lice. It really freaked me out! I'm new at all of this school stuff, after all. Then, as Brooke and I got to talking about it, I learned that it was the kid that sits NEXT to her. I only know this because she said that he had to go home early. I've never sent my baby anywhere so I was a little unsettled! Suddenly, my head started to itch a little, too. Lol

After inspecting her hair REALLY well, we declared Brooke to be lice-free. However, the fear of it lurking in her classroom had me super freaked out. So... I decided to keep her home from school yesterday. Seeing as how there was no school today, keeping her home yesterday gave her a 4 day break from "Liceville."

Then, I was talking to different, more experienced moms at church and one of them said, "Jillian, if you keep her home every time someone gets lice she's going to be missing lots of school!" Lol. Point well taken... I can't keep my children in a bubble.

While I did end up keeping Brooke home for my own peace of mind.. I probably will be less paranoid next time around. I try so hard to shield my family from bugs (literally, in this case) and sicknesses but as Brooke goes into an environment where I have no control, it's getting harder and harder.

We're only a few months into the beginning of the school years but already I'm learning that there are many more challenges in this stage of life. I'm imagining that it will only get harder, too... I'm sure in a few years I'll  look back and laugh that I thought this was so challenging but for now, holy cow, it's a big deal!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Blondes are less likely to get lice. Plus, if you use gel, mousse, hairspray, leave-in-conditioner and braid her hair super tight you should ward off lots if not all of the buggers.