Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What Gives???????

I love Fall but with this time of year comes severe, severe allergies for me. Ragweed and Golden Rod bloom like crazy around here in the autumn months so it really takes a major toll on my health. Being pregnant and all, I am hesitant to take much of anything to help me feel better but that has all been impossible, as my asthma has been outrageously awful as well.

This whole mess started about two weeks ago. I knew it was coming when September got here but never expected it at this magnitude. I went to the walk-in with a mega asthma flair up where they put me on steroids, which always make me feel great in the asthma department. After a five day course of those medicines, I immediately reverted back to not being able to breathe as soon as I stopped taking them. It's frustrating. Having to stop in the middle of a sentence to take a breath or not being able to run around after the girls without feeling winded is very sad for me.

A few days after that asthma issue started I began to feel REALLY dizzy. I know that with pregnancy you can feel dizzy... Especially if you stand up too quickly or don't have food in your system. However, it was a constant, all-day-dizziness that would NOT go away. I went to the doctor and they found that I had severe inner ear infection that was completely messing up my equilibrium, as well as a sinus infection. Why would I be surprised after all of my allergy issues?

Then tonight, only three days after seeing the doctor for my ear, I ended up at the doctor's again for my asthma. When I got there they were very concerned and told me to go to the hospital right away to be admitted. They wanted to take me by ambulance because my oxygen levels were low and my heart rate was really high but I outright refused. My primary care doctor is out of a different hospital than the my OBGYN so I decided to go to the one where my OBGYN works. Because of that, however, the primary care doctor couldn't really admit but called over to the hospital to explain what was going on. When I got to the ER, I met with some fly-by-night nurse practitioner who took my issues very lightly. Long story short, he wanted to give me more steroids (that my primary care doctor SPECIFICALLY told me to stay away from because I was just on them last week) and when I refused he sent me home saying that that was all he could do. I left the hospital with my oxygen levels still low, my pulse still high, a fever, and still unable to breathe without struggle. I sit behind this computer right now wondering how I'll get through the night with this awful struggle to simply breathe.

I am beyond frustrated now. It's been over two weeks since I've felt "normal" and it's just not fair. I have no energy, mainly because I'm up all night fighting to breathe, and I feel bad that my girls aren't getting the mommy they deserve:-( I'm going to make some phone calls tomorrow and try to find some help. This is getting old FAST.

1 comment:

rccalyn said...

You sound miserable! I hope you're able to find something strong that helps, and is still safe for the baby!