Thursday, October 21, 2010

Down A Van

We have prided ourselves on saving money by driving inexpensive used cars. We paid $2000 for our van and it wasn't the most glamorous van or our dream car but it worked. It got me where I was going and it even provided transportation for several vacations. I stay home with our girls and for us, that means sacrificing some of the niceties in life. Obviously it's worth it because you can't put a price tag on being able to raise your children yourself!

Anyways, our van has been on the fritz for a while and my father-in-law (a mechanic) has been trying to figure out what's going on with it. There's a good possibility that the problem is with the engine.. So yes, for a cheap van, that's a cataclysmic blow. On top of that, we need new tires. Hardly sounds worth repairing at this point, huh? It's also got 130-some-odd-1000 miles on it so it's not like it's got a lot going for it.

I am SO thankful because John working nights frees up his car during the day so I am rarely inconvenienced by all of this. I have friends who only have one car and their husbands work normal hours, meaning they never have a vehicle. For this, I am extremely blessed. I never knew how much of a perk John working nights would be! I am also extremely grateful because my parents have been so accommodating letting us use one of their cars whenever a need arises. That has also been wonderful!

Of course we want to run out now and get a new van. I think we've pretty much decided, however, that we'll save money and wait until March (when the baby will be here and not fit in our car) to buy another vehicle. Somehow I am very content in this. Even though I know that when John does overtime during the evening hours that I'll be stuck. I need to be content in my own home and if I can't be then that's just not right. We don't always have to go somewhere or do something!

I am so thankful that God has promised to provide for all of our needs. I know that He knows we'll need a car that will fit the baby in March so I'm not going to sweat it! One day at a time!

No comments: