Sunday, October 31, 2010

Trick or Treat!

We just finished up an eventful evening of trick or treating. My little Eeyore and beautiful princess had a great time but I think I had even more fun watching them. Not to mention, John's aunt made their costumes and they were absolutely gorgeous! If I had my camera cord I would upload some pictures but it's still MIA.

I had another nasty asthma attack this weekend and am currently dealing with bronchitis, along with the regular asthma stuff, so I was debating whether or not I would go out tonight. Cold air does NOT mix well with asthmatic lungs! However, armed with lots of good medicine, I roughed the cold night and had an absolute blast with my beauties. It was also great because John had his first Halloween off in 5 years so he could be with us the whole night. John's dad passed out candy out at our house for us while his mom and sister came to help out with the girls. We got tons of candy and we were only out for an hour! I'm not sure what we would have done with all of the candy if we had stayed out for the full 2 hours.

Growing up as a pastor's daughter we never celebrated Halloween. We would pass out candy and go to church Halloween substitutes but we never did full on trick or treating. The first year that Brooke was here we dressed her up as a ladybug to pass out candy and honestly, it was a blast. We've carried on the tradition and in my opinion, allowing your children to dress up and get candy from church is just a compromise. Either you agree with the holiday altogether or you don't. We don't celebrate Satan or compromise our beliefs on who Jesus is or what He means to us at all.. We just let our children look darn stinking cute and get a boat load of candy. That's what MY family believes and we are no less Christian or spiritual for our opinion... Just like we don't judge people for not taking their kids out. It's a fine line, I realize.

I just don't see Halloween as an issue of the heart so I'm not sure why so many people get hung up on who's celebrating it and who isn't. We're not saying that we don't believe that Jesus is the Messiah or that Jesus didn't die on the cross for our sins. To me, those are issues WORTH fighting over. Those actually matter. But if we're going to fight big on matters of opinion then when the big things come, how will handle them? I choose to pick my battles.

So, yeah, sorry for the rant. We had a great night and I'm happy that my girls had a special time with us!

1 comment:

Meadowlark said...

Yeah... cuz I'm pretty sure Christ has time to say "oh... Halloween followers, they don't like Me, but those people over there who never talk to Me and stay home on Halloween, they're IN"

Personally, I hate halloween as I do not like to be scared and don't like adults that act like idiots and scare little kids. But that's just me. :)

You go celebrate and have fun and I'm fairly sure He knows your heart :)