Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Adjustments

I know it's silly and I still have three months until the baby is born but I am so anxious about how Adrienne will adjust. It actually consumes my mind. Brooke will do great because she will be helpful and involved in the baby but I guess I'm just worried about Adrienne getting lost in the shuffle.

Adrienne is the most laid back and content human being I have ever met. She doesn't really lose her cool and she's very, very quiet. She's pretty happy to share and even if someone takes something from her she gets over it very quickly and finds something new to play with. She's not really a "squeaky wheel" but trust me, we give her plenty of "grease." Because of her temperament, I often worry that her easy going nature will make it challenging to engage her when the baby gets here. It's hard to explain... If she was a more of a needy child I wouldn't worry about her letting her voice be heard. I think I will actually have to work harder to make special time for just her because isn't the kind of kid who really engages you... It's the other way around completely. Don't get me wrong, she's hilarious and precious and she does some of the craziest things but she's not an "in your face" kind of person.

I've said it before... I always feel bad for my quiet, laid back girls (more Adrienne than Brooke) because I am NOT like that. When I'm quiet, there's usually something wrong and I think I assume the same thing about them. Silly, I know. I definitely need to get used to the fact that not everybody has to be outgoing and bubbly all the time. Lol.

Another stupid thing that I worry about is "middle child syndrome." I don't know.. I've just heard a lot of people talk about that and I don't want to ever think of Adrienne being caught in that rut of being too small to be my big girl and too big to my baby. She's special for who she is and not what order she falls in our family. I'm sure she'll know that.

So yeah, these are the irrational thoughts that have been floating around in my mind. I'm like this, though... I get worked up over things that never come to pass. I'm sure that when Bailey arrives we'll figure out all these kinks. We always do!

1 comment:

rccalyn said...

Let me tell you, the adjustment over here is taking longer than I thought! Marissa's totally fine, but Arianna's still a mess. I thought she was getting better, but it was short-lived. As odd as it sounds, the hardest part is the shared-nursing issue. Every time she sees me nurse Roman, she wants to nurse too! I feel very strongly that it's not a good time to wean her, but it's getting ridiculous around here! I'm really hoping once the craziness of the holidays is over, she'll get back to her old self. But I expected it to be difficult just because of her usual temperament. It sounds like you might have it a little easier with Adrienne's usual personality. At least I hope so - it's so hard to find a balance between maintaining discipline and scooping her up to make everything better all the time! And you won't have any holiday craziness either...I'm sure you'll have it much easier!