Wednesday, December 15, 2010

One of Those Days

Today has been a challenging day to be a mommy. Brooke woke up on the wrong side of the bed and Adrienne is battling a cold so I had some fussy girls on my hands. We had just planned to stay in all day (which we do quite a bit) and somehow that made it worse. I love being home with them but when they're grumpy it's almost better to be out because you have other things to distract you from it all.

About lunchtime I was fried. The girls weren't terrors or anything... They just required a lot of extra parenting and reminders to behave. I made lunch and Adrienne got mad at me so she took her hands that were completely covered in refried beans and sour cream and rubbed them into her freshly washed hair. Then she threw her lunch off of her tray. I was almost to the point of tears at that point and it was one of those moments where I just had to walk away before getting too angry. The mess all over my tan carpets and clean baby didn't really help.

Once lunch was cleaned up (and the carpet.. and Adrienne's hair), I put both girls in their beds for nap time. I think Miss Brooke came downstairs about 3 times to say that she wasn't tired or that she needed something but I kept sending her back to bed. I dozed off for about 10 minutes and then heard both girls crying on and off and laughing upstairs. I was SO angry because Brooke must have gone in Adrienne's room and woken her up or something. I'm not really sure but the end result was an abbreviated nap time and an afternoon with grumpy, non-rested girls.

We had church tonight but I came home and put them right to bed. Believe me, we were all ready. Now that the house has been quiet and I've had some time to clear my head, I can hardly remember what was so bad about today and somehow am ready to start it all over again in the morning! Isn't it funny how motherhood is like this addiction... No matter how hard it gets or exhausted you are, it's that wonderful that you just keeping coming for more, despite getting very little appreciation. I surely hope that tomorrow is better but that's what it's all about- The ups and the downs.

No comments: