Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Farewell, Day Shift:-(

After nearly 2 months of John being on the glorious day shift, he found out yesterday that he'll be going back to nights on June 1st:-( So this amazing, "normal"  life that we've been living will soon be ending. I do suppose that you sign up for the crazy hours when you marry a cop, though...

The night shift isn't the worst shift, to be fair. For us, the evening shift is the absolute worse because we have very limited family time. My biggest problem with this whole schedule change is that it took John about 2-3 weeks to adjust to sleeping at nights and now that he's feeling pretty decent, he'll have to make the big change yet again. It's going to be yet another adjustment period in such a short amount of time.

I have also grown accustomed to random phone calls/texts from my husband throughout the day just to tell me he loves me and it's been equally as nice to be able to call him with questions, frustrations or just because. When he works nights, I obviously try not to wake him at all costs so when he wakes up for the day, I'm filled with a million thoughts, stories, questions, etc.. It's a totally different dynamic. We've also been eating lunch together a lot and of course that won't be happening anymore either.

The whole situation stinks. The guy who out-bid him only has like 2 days worth of seniority over John... They were hired in the same week as each other. It's nothing personal against him and I know that that's how the rules work but it still frustrates the heck out of me. I almost wonder if all this adjustment would even be worth it again in the future and if John should eternally stay on nights until there's absolutely nobody who can bump him off? I don't know...

I'm not looking forward to spending nights alone, having to keep the house quiet during the day or being alone at night while John naps before his shift. There are so many little things that I'm dreading. But, I guess I need to look at the overall picture here... My husband has a great job (despite the weird hours) and he provides well for us. I'm so blessed- far beyond what I deserve- and it could always be worse! I'm sure there are many people out there that would trade their real hardships with this silly one in my life.

No comments: