Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Mommy's Hitting the Books!!

For over three years now I have been tossing around the idea of going back to school for nursing. I initially started thinking about it when I was pregnant with Adrienne but knowing that we would likely have another baby after her, I never really seriously entertained the idea. After Bailey was born, the desire was still there but she was such a demanding baby that I knew I had absolutely NO time for school work. A few months ago John encouraged me to go sit down with a college counselor just to see what a potential plan could be for my schooling and from that point on, things have just been working out!

I really feel my heart tugging me to the field of nursing for so many reasons. First of all, my passion in life is people. I absolutely love people and could talk to just about anyone about anything. I love the feeling of meeting the needs of another, whether it be a complete stranger or someone that I love. It doesn't matter. I had three very difficult deliveries (all of them resulting in prolonged separation from my babies) and those nurses were the ones who sat by my bedside and wiped my tears, made me laugh and cared for me when I couldn't care for myself. The thought of being able to do that for someone else is so exciting to me! Another reason why nursing appeals to me is the flexibility. I never want to be tied to a 9-5 type job because it sounds so restraining to me and the idea of entering a career field where I could work random shifts sounds like a lot of fun! I'm not looking to really work a lot until the kids are much older but even if I wanted to find some part time work, I could work opposite hours of John and never have to leave them with anyone else.

My plan is to start classes in the Fall. All of the paperwork is set and all I have to do is simply schedule my classes. I will be able to do almost all of my prerequisites online so most of my work will be done during nap time or after the kids go to bed. John also told me that one night a week he will send me to a coffee shop for some peace and quiet to get my work done. When I have to actually start attending nursing classes (because you can't do those online), the girls will be older and it won't be so hard to pull myself away for a few hours. I am NOT a student but I'm extremely excited to learn and push myself! I also have an amazingly supportive husband who is every bit as dedicated to my success as I am!

Some people have asked me why I feel the need to do this now, seeing as how I'm not really even looking for a career for this season of my life. In response, I always say that this is something that I will never, ever do unless I start somewhere. I don't want to be 40 and look back and wish that I had just had the courage to step out and take this leap. I'm motivated and I know that I CAN do it... But I could just as easily talk myself out of it. I'm also excited to think about having a way to earn a great income when the girls are older.. This is a career that can help us save for retirement, help with the girls' college and weddings and allow us to bless them more.

I am so excited for the days ahead!! I'm eager to see what classes I'll be taking this semester, even though I know they'll be a lot of work. I can't wait!!

1 comment:

rccalyn said...

Wow, way to go! Impressive :-)