Tuesday, August 11, 2009

They Don't Belong to Me

One of my mom's co-workers had a grandson who got caught in his crib the other night and died. He was one week shy of his 1St birthday and I'm sure that nobody suspected he would never make it to that date. I bet invitations for his party were already sent out and I imagine that some gifts were already purchased for the special occasion. That little boy never lived to see that date that was so close.

That just goes to show that nothing in this life is granted to us. We can plan for tomorrow and hope that our future is what we want it to be, but really, in the end, it is God who is in control. It is by His sovereignty that we are being kept and to me, that is so reassuring, but on the hand, that's scary because sometimes His will means suffering, hardships, or even death. I love how easy it is to praise God and have faith in Him during times of financial abundance, healthy kids, good jobs, etc... But it's often hard to have that same amount of faith in God when we are caused to struggle. I know that I lack greatly in that area.

After hearing about that little boy, I just wanted to hold on even tighter to my children. I wanted to keep an even closer eye on them, but ya know what? It hit me. They are not MY kids. While I need to be an attentive, Christ-like, and loving mother, it is not ME that protects them or watches over them... It is their Heavenly Father who is in control and who has their lives figured out.

I've decided that if I am really going to give my children to God (not that He needs me to), then I have to let go of a lot of things. I can't worry about their futures... If they'll be healthy, if they'll make a total mess of their lives, if they will be taken from us at a young age, etc.. All I can do is pray and ask God for wisdom on how to raise them and be the best mom I can be. Ultimately, however, their futures are not mine to hold.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Wow, Jillian. How very insightful and well written! And you are exactly right - we can only do what we KNOW to do to send our kids down the right paths, but the rest has to be left to God.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.