Monday, August 3, 2009

We've Finally Hit the TERRIBLE TWO'S:-(

Wow, I'm one fried mama! Brooke has been going through this very rough faze over the last couple of weeks and it's been difficult, to say the least. I really feel as though she woke up one morning and said, "Hey, I'm two. I'm SUPPOSED to be a brat." Her behavior has been so uncharacteristic of her and it's discouraging at times. These are some of her latest antics...

*She now kicks, throws, or hits things whenever she gets frustrated. Before this whole new stage in her life, she would have calmly asked for me to help her and there would have been NO problem.

*She's exceptionally mean to other kids... Especially ones that are younger than her. Poor little Jenna has received the worst of it and I HATE that. I feel like she's the church nursery bully as of late.

*She thinks that when I tell her to do something it's optional and she often responds, "No," "I don't want to," or "Not yet."

*Whenever she doesn't get her way she throws herself on the ground and screams.

*She is SO mean to people when they say "hi" to her. For instance, my mom came over tonight and when she went to greet Brooke, she refused to even look at her and screamed. She and my mom have an amazing relationship, too, and they spend lots of time together. I don't get this one, in particular.

*It's Brooke's way or NO way. If she doesn't want help, heaven help you if you give it to her.

If you knew Brooke a few months ago, these latest developments would probably surprise you. She has always been a wonderfully sweet and compliant child and this has totally taken me by storm! She has her top two (FINAL!!!) molars coming in, which I know has to make it worse, but there is no excuse for this behavior. We don't accept any of the above behaviors from Brooke and we strive to discipline and punish her in a Godly manner, but sometimes I feel like it doesn't get through to her. It's so hard to be a parent, isn't it?? My mom is getting me the book, Have A New Kid by Friday, by Dr. Kevin Leeman. He's an awesome Christian author whose books I really enjoy, so I'm hoping that his book will impart some of his wisdom and expertise onto me!

I'm not trying to say that Brooke's all bad or that I don't enjoy her. I just want to clarify! In the midst of our days she will come up and kiss me or say, "I love you, Mommy." She often does really precious things that erase the struggles and frustrations of the day, but I just wish I could help her to not have such a difficult time with her attitude and behavior. It really does kill me to have to discipline her but I know that if we let things go now, at the ripe age of 2 and a half, then we're really going to have a terror child on our hands one day down the road!

No comments: