Thursday, April 21, 2011

What A Day!

Today has been eventful, to say the least. As I've mentioned before, Bailey has acid reflux just like her sisters did. She has good days and bad days but last night she was really struggling and up spitting up quite a bit. Spit up for Bailey is more like vomit, not a little dribble from her mouth. Anyways, it was a long night, which is unusual for her, but I assumed that it was just a par for the course. Her struggles continued into this morning, which didn't alarm me, and we went about our day.

About 11 o'clock this morning she started throwing up green stuff. It's the stuff that you throw up when you have absolutely nothing left in your system. It was a massive quantity, which I'm used to, but it was crazy to me that it was green. In all my experience with my reflux babies I was still uncomfortable with it. I called the doctor's office to speak with a nurse, assuming that I was a worrying mother and that she would just reassure me. By the time they called back it was after one and they told me to come right on in so I woke John up and we got here as soon as we could.

After checking her out, the doctor thought she appeared to be dehydrated and sent her down for an ultrasound to check for an intestinal blockage. That all appeared to look okay but because she was vomiting so much after every feeding he decided to admit her. I was shocked... And still am. I expected to go to the doctor for a quick checkup to put my mind at ease and not to be typing from a hospital room tonight.

Once we got settled into our room they poked her 3 times to try to get an IV in but to no avail. It was awful to hear my precious girl screaming so hysterically:-( They decided that they would spare her the pain and administer her reflux medication through her mouth instead and just monitor her extra closely through the night. I'm kind of confused because they were supposed to give her fluids intravenously, hence the IV, but somehow it's okay that they aren't now. I guess they know what they're supposed to do! First thing in the morning they are going to do a barium test followed by an X-Ray that will reveal any abnormalities going on with her digestive system. I'm assuming that it will come back normal and am hoping to be out of here sometime tomorrow. I probably shouldn't bank on that though because it will leave me VERY disappointed if that's not the case.

I hate that my family is separated right now:-( It's so hard. Nobody wants to have a child in the hospital, obviously! So please say a prayer for my princess tonight. She's resting soundly now so I should probably attempt some sleep. Heaven knows I'm in desperate need!

1 comment:

*~tRiStYn MiChElLe~* said...

oh no jillian!!!! im so sorry...i will definitely be praying for you guys! shes in the Lord's hands and he will take good care of her.