Thursday, June 4, 2009

Nursing Frustrations and NO Sleep DON'T Mix!

Last night was so very rough. I can't even begin to express how tired I am! John's first night back at work was last night, which didn't help, but what made it worse was that Brooke woke up at 4:30 screaming for her daddy. Just great, huh? She didn't even know he was going to work so I have no clue how that all worked out in her little head. Anyways, I was so exhausted and Adrienne had just woken up to nurse so I brought Brooke into our bed... Like an absolute fool. Brooke, of course, wanted to snuggle with me and she was furious that I was nursing Adrienne instead. She would scream, "Stop nursing Adrienne, Mommy. Put her in the cradle." I felt horrible that I couldn't be everything to everyone but what the heck was I supposed to do? An hour later, both girls and I finally fell back asleep. It was AWFUL.

In other news, Adrienne is still not nursing great. I don't really know what to do about her. She sits at my breast with her mouth open but she refuses to grab my nipple. She'll get really frustrated that she's not able to eat and start grunting and this sometimes goes on for 20 minutes before she'll successfully eat. When she finally latches on she has a good latch, which is a positive. She's also pooping and peeing enough, so I know she's eating well when she does eat, but it's still frustrating for us both and I know that breastfeeding should not be like that! I'm hoping that this is just her immaturity here and that the problem resolves itself soon. I'll give it a couple of more days and if it's still going on I think I'll schedule an appointment with the lactation consultant. Does anyone have any input?

Brooke was such an amazing sleeper as a baby... She slept through the night the first night she came home from the hospital. Her infancy was an absolute breeze and I never felt drunk from exhaustion. Adrienne has NOT followed suit and oddly enough, I wasn't prepared for that. She's up usually ever 2 hours and it's not like I can just latch her on and go back to sleep... I have to sit up and take sometimes up to half an hour to get her happily nursing. Now I know why mothers of newborns are usually so exhausted! This period in time is so brief though so I'm holding out for hope that she WILL sleep one day.

Wow, for someone who's tired out of her mind, I sure rambled a lot. Didn't I? Anyways, I'm off to bed. Hopefully tonight is a MUCH better night than last night. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

*~tRiStYn MiChElLe~* said...

It was good to see you too!! And I'm glad I got to take a peek at precious Adrienne! The nursing stuff will fix itself it really just takes time. The first month is the hardest but we all make it through by some miracle! You will too...just hang in there! It DOES get better! I think you were just lucky with Brooke! :0)

rccalyn said...

Ugh! I hope things start to get better...I know they will eventually! Keep at it with the nursing though!

Tiff said...

yea, I thought those first few weeks would never end! Like I told you last night, you both will figure out some trick that will help her latch on quicker.