Thursday, January 14, 2010

Finding that Perfect Balance

I don't know about any of you other moms out there but I have a hard time finding the balance between spending time with the kids and attending to the other affairs of the home. I want my girls to know that I love them and put them first but by folding laundry while they're playing, are they really feeling any less important to me?

I struggle with this issue so much. For the longest time (until recently, actually) I would sit on the floor of the playroom or living room and play, play, play all day and then do all of my housework during the girls' nap time. Now that I am super committed to exercising, nap time is pretty much booked. Now I kind of try to scatter the chores throughout our morning while looking after them at the same time.

Brooke is quite the independent player. She could seriously occupy herself for hours on end. Because of that, however, I have to caution myself against not taking as much of an interest in playing with her. Ya know? Sometimes it's easier for me to carry on with what I'm doing than to get involved with something she's happy doing on her own.

Adrienne is the same as Brooke. She is happy to sit in her pile of toys and play. She seriously rarely fusses. She's also as happy as she can be in her Jumperoo but I try to reserve that for when I'm preparing meals so she doesn't get stuck in there too often. I'll usually play with her for a bit but if I have something to do I'll just transfer her into the room that I'm working in.

I tend to feel guilty when I don't devote every waking moment to my kids. It's ridiculous. I know. They are extremely happy, loved and and safe so I'm not sure what it is that makes me feel so bad! I love a clean house but I do NOT put it above my kids but there is also necessary time to get things done, as well.

I think that some alone time is beneficial for them, too. Everyone needs that from time-to-time so I'm not sure why I feel like I have to directly entertain them 24/7!

Does anyone else out there feel like this or am I just really crazy??

No comments: