Thursday, May 20, 2010

New Uses for Trash Bags

As much as I love this time of year where the days are getting longer and the sun is shining more often, I have one major complaint... Adrienne is getting up at the crack of dawn now! I realize that none of you will give me any pity because she's slept through the night consistently since she was about two weeks old but hey, it's worth a try!

After two mornings in a row of her getting up at 6:15 (remember, my kids are usually up at 8 at the very earliest) I was fried and desperate for a solution to these early mornings. My sister recommended room darkening curtains for the two huge windows in her room but I didn't want to run right out and buy them. I already have really nice blinds and adorable valances (to match her bedding) that look great in there so I didn't want to change anything. I also didn't want to waste all that money if the sunlight wasn't the problem after all. Maybe it was just some phase or something? So, in order to prevent an unnecessary purchase, I got the bright idea to cover her windows with black trash bags (purely as an experiment, mind you). I am happy to report that Adrienne slept straight through to her regular time this morning but now I'm sort of bummed because I have to mess with new curtains. I guess I can't have it both ways!

You should see those awful window coverings that I made out of those trash bags. I find it comical, actually. Brooke keeps saying, "You did a great job with the curtains, Mommy." Hahaha. I'm glad that SHE thinks they're nice! Needless to say, however, I will be shopping around for the perfect blackout curtains this weekend.

3 comments:

MrsMonicaLB said...

what a great idea with the trashbags!I may have to try this since our neighbor behind us just loves to leave her giant sized backyard lights on 24/7!

Alison said...

Trash bags were your idea, eh? I'm glad they worked for you :)

Simply Complicated said...

I was just given this suggestion from a friend a couple days ago - I was so amazed I was like "why didn't I think of that..." Anyway my daughter sees a sliver of light anywhere... so I've gone from saying "nope go back to sleep, the clock has to say 7" to "nope, the clock has to say 6"... I'm so lazy tho I still have a dark blanket thrown over her blinds - ewww, ugly!!! Oh well...