Thursday, May 13, 2010

Police Week Thoughts (A week late, I know)

Last week was Police Week where there was a large focus on remembering all of the fallen police officers. I hate to say the words "fallen police officer" so lightly because they were real people... People with families, dreams, lives, and ambitions. "Fallen" doesn't quite seem like a respectful enough of a term to remember people who gave the ultimate sacrifice by simply doing their job.

With all of the buzz about Police Week I came across a list of all of the area cops who were killed in the line of duty. Through John's 4+ years of being a cop I have learned to make peace with his profession and I have become pretty immune to the dangers he encounters.... BUT, reading this list really reminded me that being a cop requires John to daily risk his life. It's something that I try not to dwell on but those thoughts really do cross my mind often. Sometimes I'll roll over onto his side of the bed at night and wonder if he's in harm's way and at other times I don't think twice about it because his job has become so "normal" to me. It's kind of a weird thing how my emotions are so up and down in regards to all of this.

I would say that my #1 fear in this life is to become a police widow. I can't even imagine living a life without John. However, as his wife, I wholeheartedly support his calling and I know that he will be the best cop he can be if don't try to hold him back. There are so many days that I'll hear things in the news and letting him go out the door is harder but this is what he signed up to do and I'm extremely proud of him. It takes a special man to do what he does day in and day out and I am honored to be his wife.

There are two things that I try to do each night as he leaves... For starters, I always, always give him a hug and kiss and let him know that he is loved beyond belief. But most importantly, I pray for him and bring my worries up to Jesus. In the wake of all of these police work related anxieties I've been focusing on 1 John 4:4... "Greater is He that is in you than he who is in the world." Somebody FAR greater than me goes to work with John each night, therefore, I don't need to worry. The gun, the badge, the bulletproof vest, and all of the other police gear have nothing on the mighty God we serve!

No comments: