Friday, July 9, 2010

Checking In

I know, I know... I'm not quite as faithful of a blogger as I have been in the past. Summertime is a traditional time of year for me to slump on my writing but who could blame me? I hate not recording all of our exciting days in here because, believe it or not, I like to read my past entries to remember the girls' different stages. It's a really neat thing to be able to refer to my blog!

It has been SO incredibly hot here so we've been spending lots of time in our pool with the girls. I heard on the radio that the average temperature for our neck of the woods this time of year is 68 degrees and it has been well into the 90's as of late. We're just not used to this! We didn't have AC's in our house because we really never had need for one last year... However, the heat got to be unbearable so we went to the store to buy some. Little did we know, finding them would be like finding a needle in a haystack. We checked about 30 different places within a 45 mile radius of us and everyone was completely sold out. I guess this is what would happen with snow shovels if there was a blizzard in California?? Long story short, I spent my day on Wednesday driving all over creation to pick up the AC's. I had called Target to inquire about if they had any in stock and they told me they had just gotten 6 so I ran there. When we pulled in the parking lot we saw people with them in their carts so I ran in and snagged the last one. I felt like I was on Super Market Sweep! We got another one from John's Uncle's work so we're in good shape now. I am so thankful to have some relief from the heat now and it was worth the trouble!

John's been doing a crazy week of overtime. By the time it's done he will have worked 80 hours. New York State funds a program called Aggressive Driving in the summer months and the money is abundant so he usually takes it when he can get it. He's been working 8 hours of overtime and then going in for his regular shift. I appreciate my man who works SO hard but I must say, he's the backbone of this family and my best friend so his presence is missed when he's working. Of course with him working this much I also worry more for his safety. I don't want him to get so worn out that he takes less caution. I'm not saying he would purposely do it but when you get tired you just can't perform at your highest level.

Adrienne has been quite the case lately! She loves to throw things away and today I saw her throw her shoes in the trash. Oh my goodness! I have been tempted to just put the trash in a place where she can't reach it but I think that I should just TEACH her not to touch it. What life lesson will she learn if I just put it up? I don't know.. I tend to think that way a lot with parenting. Another weird thing that she's been doing is hiding things. A couple of weeks ago my debit card was missing and after looking and looking for days I was resigned to the fact that it was gone. That is, until Adrienne randomly came out of the toy room holding it. The same thing has happened with my inhaler and some clothes that I bought for my brother's baby. I can't seem to determine where her hiding place is but when I do, she's going down! She has also learned some new words this week so we're very excited. They are "bubbles," "smell," and "grammy." I love watching her grow!

Brooke has been a bit of a challenge lately. She is in that temper tantrum stage and it's very difficult to handle her at times. She never really went through the "terrible 2's" stage so this is my pay back. She really is a VERY good girl but her attitude gets her in trouble. Isn't it amazing how they learn to be sassy all on their own with no help?

Well John's off tonight and the girls are out so I'm going to enjoy a rare moment of solitude with him. We're going to watch Brooklyn's Finest. I'm not usually a fan of cop movies but we'll see how it is!

No comments: