Friday, July 30, 2010

Kindness Pays Off!

The girls and I were bumming around the house this morning when some weird stranger came knocking on the door. I'm always a freak whenever someone knocks on the door because most of our company is the kind that just comes right it! So when I saw this strange man, I grabbed my phone (just in case!) and with a pit in my stomach, opened the door.

The man said, "So, I have a really big favor to ask." I'm thinking "What in the world do you want????" I then noticed that his truck said "Dog Control" so I figured he worked for the town and wanted help finding a lost dog. Then he said, "My grand kids are up from Utah and I want to take them on the river walk today but I have no wagon. Do you know where I could find one to borrow?" Right next to him sat my wagon. I mean, seriously, what was I supposed to say? I was kind of apprehensive and then he passed me his card and told me that he worked for the village and all of his information was listed there. So, without really thinking or anything, I told him he could have the wagon for the day as long as it was back this evening. I honestly didn't doubt that he would return it. I guess I'm just naive. When I told John, he was completely shocked that I would be so trusting and he honestly couldn't believe what I had done. There's a cop for ya! Lol

We left for a birthday party this evening and when we returned, the wagon was on the porch, parked safe and sound. On our front door was a nice note that said, "Thank you for trusting me!" And inside an envelope was a gift card for a free large pizza at the pizza shop in our town. I couldn't believe it! When I loaned that guy our wagon I really just thought that I was doing him a favor.. Not that I was going to receive something in return.

I hate that this world is such a cruel and mean place that we have to even bat an eyelash before loaning something to someone. Ya know? I tend to be WAY to trusting and it hasn't come back to bite me yet.. It's actually continued to be rewarding! But maybe John's right? I probably shouldn't trust just anyone. Even so, I'm really glad that I could help that guy take his grand kids on a walk! :-)

No comments: