Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Willful

Brooke is seriously such a good little girl. She is the type of kid that is totally fine on her own if you have to clean the house or make dinner. She rarely makes large messes and if she does, she is SO concerned about it until it's cleaned up. She is kind to others, generally speaking, and she is so nurturing to her little sister. Most of the time she is completely compliant but that will of hers is what gets her in trouble! Man, that girl is STUBBORN.

Lately Brooke's will has been shining through in the area of using the potty. She is completely potty trained... even for nap time and bedtime and she never, ever has accidents. However, she is playing this new trick on me where she hold her pee for hours on end and REFUSES to go. The other day, for example, she woke up at 8 after 13 hours of sleep of sleep and would not go potty until 11 when I MADE her go. She kicked and screamed the whole way to the potty and when we go there, she sat there for 5 minutes saying, "I won't go!" Finally she gave in and peed like a race horse. All throughout the day she will play this trick on me... Even when she is obviously showing me that she has to go by doing "the potty dance."

This whole situation bother me for many different reason. First of all, it's obviously willful disobedience and defiance, which we totally do NOT find acceptable in our home! Second, I'm concerned about her getting bladder infections. It's so not good for you to hold your pee for that long! The girl drinks A LOT so I know that she is holding in a lot of pee. Yikes! I made many attempts at resolving this problem but to no avail. It's kind of a touchy matter because I don't want her to get so mad at me that she pees her pants. This is a tough one!

My Brookie... I love her so very, very much! The joy she gives me is incredible but these challenges she gives me are insane! Just when I thought I had seen it all... Lol!

1 comment:

rccalyn said...

Oh dear. That's a frustrating problem to have! I don't have any advice though. I always MAKE Marissa try in the morning, before nap, after nap, etc. Even if she says she doesn't have to go, I make her sit and count to 10. I guess that's not the problem for you though...and I'm sure you've tried that too! Good luck!