Thursday, February 4, 2010

Going Private?

So, I installed something called Google Analytics on my blog and I have been amazed at the crazy amounts of hits I get. Also, I discovered that people from foreign countries read my blog. I think that's so weird... I don't find myself to be all that interesting!

I like that people read my blog. I think it's cool to "meet" new people and to be able to share my thoughts. I'll admit, though, it kind of bothers me that the number of comments I get don't even compete with the number of readers I supposedly have. If you're reading this, leave me a comment! I promise I don't bite:-)

I started my blog for my own personal thoughts.. To record them, to get them out, for enjoyment... But I'm finding myself becoming more and more inhibited as to what I write because of all of the various people that read it. Something tells me that that defeats the purpose? I don't know, maybe it doesn't? I think I'm also paranoid because John has had criminals "threaten" to harm his family so I'm semi-paranoid. It just comes with the territory, I guess!

In addition, there's an individual who spreads gossip and slander about my family and me (and every other breathing creature) and I don't really want to fuel her conversations anymore. You can completely cut off communication with negative, poisonous people all you want but when they can read your thoughts whenever they want, it's kind of hard to not give them a foothold into your life.

So, that leaves me with this question, how do I make my blog less accessible to people? Can I password protect this and if I do, how do I go about only allowing certain people to view it? I'm not nearly as computer savvy as I would like to be! My biggest hangup with password protecting my blog is that I don't want to miss out on "meeting" new people. I have talked to a bunch of you police wives out there which has been great and I don't want that all to stop!

Thoughts, anyone??

Oh, and for the record, this is the first post in I can't even tell you how long that didn't include the names, "Brooke," or "Adrienne." WOW!! Lol

5 comments:

MrsMonicaLB said...

I hear ya,and yeah I get hits from India and other far away places,weird isnt it?
Its a scary world out there and you really dont know who is lurking.I love blogging and sharing my daily happenings but I do try to remember safety first.On my blog I try to keep our names,at least last name and the actual city we live in off.I have posted a pic of the hub in his uniform but I made sure to blur out his patches and name badge,I do post pics of us,the kids,etc but I check to make sure names and such arent shown.I also have a twitter posted on my blog and the hubs will remind me to not post everytime I leave the house,etc.I've noticed that other pw are more selective at what they post,they don't put pics or even use their names at all.But I have noticed the longer they have been blogging they are should I say "becoming comfortable" and posting things they would never have when they first started blogging.I know a pw that tried to complain when someone else posted her dh name but yet she posts his pic up in his uniform,with pics of their whole fam,and her blog is all about being a wife of an officer and yet claims others are creating officer safety issues for her dh!and when questioned she says no one can see her blog only other pw yet she has blog buds that are not pw's.How much sense does that make?and her blog is not private.anyone can find and read your blog just by googling certain words.Its up to each person what and how much they put out there but I think as police wives we should,or try to be,more cautious with our personal info.We've been threatened even followed also,and that can probably happen on the web too.You would have to make your blog private and only invite those you personally know via their emails I think.to set it you go to dashboard than click settings and from there you click on permissions. if it makes you feel more secure do it.i dont know of any other way to protect your privacy,dont forget this is the WORLD WIDE web. anyone can make a fake blog and pretend to be someone,how are we to know they are who they say they are?
I have the same problem with not wanting a certain individual(s) who claim to hate me but reads everything I blog about and tells everyone its about her or that I copy her blog,CRAZY!
sorry for the long comment,hope this helps!

*~tRiStYn MiChElLe~* said...

I have no idea!!! I dont even know who reads mine...i will have to download that analytics thing and see. I never actually thought that it would be easy for anyone to just find my blog but I think thats a little naive to think that way in this world! I will definitely be more cautious now. thanks!! :0)

mrsofficer said...

i get those far away people too! its like huh? I have a family member like that too! I blur out all my hubs stuff and you cant connect the photo back to my photobucket either. Having a Police officer as a hubby is dangerous enough. I will post stuff and kid you not 5 or 10minutes later this person is talking stuff! wierd its like why do you care what I do? where im at? Or how my relationship is with my man? Especially when i dont even really know them had 1 convo with them ugh but what to do ya know. I leave mine public because its my life, and if they feel the need to read or see it by all means.DROOL because i love my life! people that know you will not believe the crazy rumors she is trying to spread, I mean if thats all she does when she see's people they gotta get tired of her. I would! I would be like GET A LIFE LOSER!lol Good luck, focus on your family, have faith in god and know that individual is lacking everything you have. Its called jealousy

mrs. fuzz said...

We have a family blog that is private. Before I went private I announced on our blog when it would be happening and I think I did 4-6 weeks so the slow ones that didn't read very often had the opportunity to leave me their email address. Then in your settings you can change it to private and then invite your readers by adding their emails and then they are the only ones allowed to look. It caused a great peace of mind, but I had to start MRs. Fuzz on A Police Wife so I could meet other PWs just like you mentioned. I needed that community. Good luck in whatever you decide to do! I've enjoyed reading your sweet posts about your thoughts and family.

Simply Complicated said...

I hear you here - I'm totally new to blogging for myself because I've wanted to but the very nature of our husbands' jobs does make it a little tricky. My husband has been a little hesitant to getting on board with me putting ourselves out there on the online world! :-) But even in just a couple days I feel the comraderie of it, it's pretty cool! So anyway it's something I think about a lot too...