Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Breastfeeding Issues, Take 2

I failed to mention the other day that Adrienne also bites VERY HARD while nursing. She has 6 teeth and she doesn't just nibble or bite down for a second, she bites as hard as she possibly can and clamps down, refusing to let up. I flick her cheeks, scream (it's kind of a natural reaction, unfortunately), and push her into my breast so she has to come up for air, but she still won't let up instantly.

Adrienne has drawn blood twice in the past 2 days and I'm growing weary. Every time I go to nurse her, I'm apprehensive. Just when she gets latched on and I sit back and relax, that's when she bites. It is the most awful pain ever and I have scars to prove it.

Do any of you nursing mamas have any tips for me? I consider myself to be very knowledgeable with breastfeeding but this one has me stumped. I sure hope that it's just a phase and that nursing turns into something beautiful and relaxing again... And SOON!

3 comments:

Tiff said...

Everything you said you're doing is what I've heard to do too. Although, I have heard to remove them from the breast for 5-10 minutes to teach them that if they bite, they don't get the breast. Maybe that would work? Molly only ever bit me once and that was when I tried to feed her and she wasn't hungry. She also only has her 2 bottom teeth, so don't know if that makes a difference either. I'm so sorry she's doing that and I hope she stops!

Tristyn said...

You are doing everything you can unfortunately. With Brody I would do all that...scream flick his cheek and then put him down and not nurse him for a little while to let him know that if he does that he is done nursing. I think he bit me six times before he got it so hang in there!! It's an awful feeling I know :( but im sure its a phase. Good luck!!

rccalyn said...

Yeah, it sounds like you're doing everything right. Hopefully she'll get the clue soon! I also think it might work to just totally take her off and make her wait for a while...unless she really just doesn't care, then I don't know! Ugh, I hope she gets over that - I feel your pain! Arianna does it sometimes, but not on purpose.