Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Take Nothing for Granted

We were hit with a nasty snowstorm here in the wonderful North East. Winters are so long, hard and at times, treacherous. It's awful! We woke up to snow covered roads that looked absolutely awful and I was thankful that we didn't have to go out today.

Before I could get out of bed, I heard my phone beeping to tell me that I got a text message. Still extremely groggy, I read the message from my mom that told me she had been in an accident and that she was going to the hospital for observation. My heart stopped. She drives about 30 minutes to work each day and in New York winters, that's no small feat. Each day that we are hit with snow (which is often), I worry sick about her traveling to and from work and that message from her was one of my worst fears.

I figured that because my mom was able to text message me that she was in dire straights but I was still feeling sick inside. After talking to her, I got the full story... She lost control of her car on the highway and spun around. She looked up and saw a tractor trailer heading straight for her and she said to herself, "I'm going to die today." However, at the last second, the truck swerved and only swiped her car instead of colliding with her head on. The cop who handled it told her that she was very lucky because the truck driver didn't have to get out of her way because the impact would have been minimal to him but the fact that he did saved her life. I beg to differ.. The hand of God is what saved her life. She walked away from that accident with a major headache (because her head broke the window) and just feeling sore all over... No broken bones or anything else. Amazing.

Today could have potentially been the worst day of my life. If things had gone just slightly different, my mom would not be alive anymore. It's a sobering thought to think that the woman who I call multiple times a day for advice, encouragement, and wisdom could have disappeared from my life so quickly. My girls could have lost the grandmother that they love so dearly. My dad could have lost the woman who is everything to him. She wears so many hats and means so much to so many people and I'm honestly not sure how we would have all gone on with her. She is truly the glue of our family.

I pray continually that God will protect my mom as she drives to work everyday and today, I saw my prayers answered. How he protected my mom was truly a miracle and I praise Him for how he carried her through. I like to say that my faith is strong enough that I would be praising Him even if the circumstance was worse, but thankfully I don't have to think about that right now.

Take nothing for granted, folks. Life is so short. It takes a blink of an eye to have everything taken from you or for you to lose your life. Live every second to the fullest and don't waste the little time you have on this earth. Do you know where you're spending eternity?

6 comments:

rccalyn said...

Oh that's so scary! I'm so glad she's safe!

Anonymous said...

What a close call. Im glad your Mom is safe and wasnt injured.

rccalyn said...

To answer you questions:
1. Bunco is a game we play once a month - and take turns hosting it. It's a dice game, you have to roll to get a certain number, add them up with a partner, and see who wins. It's quite easy, but fun to get together and chat!

2. YES IKEA IS THAT WONDERFUL. Haha. It's a lot of modern stuff (which I like), but it also has some traditional looking stuff too. There's just such a huge selection, and it's a huge store - so much fun to go to!

MrsMonicaLB said...

how scary,I am so glad your mom is ok!you are very lucky to have your mom in your lives each and everyday and that is so true to not take anything for granted!Relish each and every day,live life to the fullest and make sure to thank God in the process.

Alison said...

Great minds, huh?

Tristyn said...

Oh my goodness!!!! I'm so glad that your mom is ok and the Lord was totally in control of that situation...that's so amazing! We never know when our time is and you said it perfectly...I'm glad I know where I am headed! And I can't wait to see Jesus face to face!