Friday, February 5, 2010

More on Blog Security...

Thanks for all of the feedback on my last post! I want to go private to have the freedom to blog openly about my feelings and issues that are more sensitive but I don't want to miss out on having new readers. It's a tough line, isn't it?

The more and more about think about my security, I become freaked out. John has to wear our last name on his name tag (Obviously) and I just think it stinks for criminals to be able to know it. Maybe I'm being stupid, but I think it would be much safer for our family if he only had to wear his badge number or something. It's a sick world, ya know? When we put up our new mailbox I wanted to write our last name on it to help identify our house but I wasn't able to because of the increased risk. Little things like that just really stink.

John's brother works in the jail around here and he has had criminals threaten to harm John. Sure, many of them are angry/drunk/high and just going crazy, but it scares me, nonetheless. Even worse, direct threats have been made to John regarding him and our family. People are such lowlifes. Cops should be respected and not have to worry about such crap for DOING THEIR JOB.

I'm not sure if anyone remembers or not, but we had our trash cans burned in April. Thankfully it was a night that John was off and we were up super late. We noticed something outside around 1 in the morning and looked outside to see our trash cans totally up engulfed flames in our front lawn. I am so thankful that we were able to catch it because the fire would have spread. I'm sure of it. It was really scary and stuff like that doesn't really help to put a mind at ease... Especially since I stay home alone most nights!

With all of the risks being stated, I still don't think that I'm putting my family in danger by blogging because I never state our last name, our location is never mentioned (except for generally), and I never show pictures of John in his uniform. Am I naive to think that all of those precautions will keep us safe? Is it possible to separate our real life from our "cyber" life?

On top of security, I was also worried about gossiping people reading my blog. However, as someone pointed out, if you're that miserable about your own life that you have to spread garbage around about my family and me, you're not worth the trouble. That's easy to say but it's hard to truly get to the point where hurtful words of other people don't get the best of you.

So, for now, I'm still public. If I choose to make my blog private (which I quite possibly will), I'll let the blogging world know so I can invite you all to read it. Thanks again for the input, everyone!

5 comments:

MrsMonicaLB said...

Good for you!don't let anyone chase you away,and try to pay no mind to the ignorant,thats all you can do.
Unfortunately the losers are just another part of their job we have to deal with on top of everything else.as the saying goes "err on the side of caution" and not let fear run our lives.
You have a cute blog and I enjoy reading about your Brooke.
A fellow blogger shared her wise words about posting "If you are in doubt, don’t publish"

*~tRiStYn MiChElLe~* said...

Just go with what you feel is right :0) You have to protect your family...they come first! As for the people who read your blog to spread crap about you...they need to GET A LIFE! who has time for that? Goodness!

mrs. fuzz said...

Hey Jillian, I gave you a blog award over at my blog. Come and get it!

Nicole said...

My husband tells people he works for the city. He wont wear his uniform home or leave with it on. When we first moved to our neighborhood, he didnt want anyone to know what he did. Now that we know our neighbors, it's not a big deal. But we dont put our last names on anything and he is very particular about when and where I post his picture. He wont even wear his wedding ring to court when he testifies. He doesnt want them to know he has a family out there somewhere! Scary stuff.

Meadowlark said...

The people who want to find you will. Ever do a ZABA search on your names?

My Heavenly Father knows where I live... I leave it to Him on the big stuff and for the small stuff I have a dog who's so excited for guests that I'd have enough notice to get out the window. (my kids are grown ups and live away, so admittedly it's a little easier).

Husband's first department was tiny, the first felon he put away in prison for 8 years said to him "your wife works at (local newspaper name here). She drives a red car doesn't she? Kids go to school in the town you live (8 miles down the road). I may be gone, but I have plenty of friends around. ---- Nothing ever happened, so I just have to believe that fear is just a way for evil to trip us up.

Just my two cents.
Peace.