Saturday, April 24, 2010

One Income Family

Staying home with our girls is what I feel is absolutely necessary right now. I'm not judging other people's convictions on that issue but for us, it's non-negotiable. Truthfully speaking, I couldn't imagine shipping them off to day care for 40+ hours a week and I am not willing to forfeit these precious years with them. Despite the fact that we live a very comfortable lifestyle and are able to provide well for our children, we definitely have to manage our money wisely to do so and we make sacrifices.

We live in a world that is so driven by the almighty dollar. Our culture is inundated by excess and it's impossible to "keep up with the Jones'" anymore! I want to obviously give our children the best life possible and for them to have nice things. Who doesn't want that??? When I look at the future, though, it's easy to worry about the probable cheer leading shoes, piano lessons, braces, allowances, prom dresses, and on and on and on the list goes. As I think of those things it's easy to doubt that staying home is really giving them what's best. After all, if I worked, they would have more "stuff."

Then, I stop and remember my childhood... My dad was a pastor and our mom stayed home with us. When we were young my parents didn't have excess money to just blow but do you know what? I don't remember missing out on one single thing as a child. We enjoyed simple things like walks, trips to the park, cook-outs, and movie nights at home. I had a blissfully happy childhood that was jam packed with amazing moments and my parents did it on ONE income. This crazy world can really trick us stay-at-home-moms into believing that we're depriving our kids financially but what it boils down to is that our children want US and not things. I heard it once said, "Our family needs our presence, not our presents."

The most important thing that I need to remember when I think about how expensive these precious girls are is the wonderful verse in the Bible that says, "God will supply ALL of our needs, according to His riches in glory." Isn't that incredible? Without that wonderful promise in scripture I'm not sure how I would tame my human tendency to worry. We may not always have what we WANT but God has promised us that our needs will be met. That is just amazing, if you ask me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are a Proud One income family as well. Do we struggle? YES and often times I can not give certain things to my children without thoughtful planning and arrangements. But my children are at home with me Where they should be.

My SIL always throws it in my face that she can take her kids to do anything THEY want. Well thats fine good for you. BUT your kids LIVE in daycare only seeing you for a 2 hours a day. A hour in the morning and a hour at night when your putting them in bed. You have missed 99% of their firsts. While I have had the pleasure of being with my children and seeing their firsts. Something I wouldnt want to miss for nothing.

Not knocking the moms that have to work or make the choice. I am with you though I wouldnt want to miss my kids growing for anything.

*~tRiStYn MiChElLe~* said...

That was exactly what my Pastor preached on this morning! The verse in Matthew 6 about where your treasures are there your heart will be also. It is so true. Our kids need us and I am happy to give them me in these precious young years of their lives. Its the least we can do. Granted when the time comes to have to buy braces and sports gear, I hope that I can have a job that allows me to drop them off at school and be there when they come home. That is my dream and I know the Lord would want that as well. :0) We struggle...but its so worth the struggle!

Simply Complicated said...

Very very well said! It can be be stressful but isn't it great to know that we don't "have" to worry! I work a few hours a week doing bookkeeping for a golf course which is a huge blessing to us BUT I get to take Allie with me!!! Or if I want I can leave her home with her dad - no set hours I work my own schedule. What a blessing all around.