Saturday, April 17, 2010

You Can't Live for the Weekend

After three amazing days together, John just left for work:-( The first night of the rotation is always the hardest... Rolling over and feeling nobody next to me, not having his help and companionship during the days and his comfort and night, and just being alone. It's life though, unfortunately!

Sometimes I feel like we only live for the days off. Ya know? It's easy to count the days on as wasted or to hope they pass by quickly but the awful truth of the matter is that the majority of the time, John has to work. With that being said, I can't wish them away because that's just an enormous percentage of our life that I would be allowing to slip by. I try so hard to focus on that and not to be sad when he goes back to work. One day, before we know it, we'll look around and wonder where the time went!

We really have a wonderful life together and I am so thankful that though we do "simple" things that that's somehow enough. We are thrilled to death to take our kids around the neighborhood for a walk or to cook out on the back patio. For Brooke, a treat is to go to Target and get a bag of popcorn while we browse the toys. It doesn't take a whole lots of money or extravagances to please her... Just quality time. As of late, she and John have been doing a lot of yard work together. These things that seem so "small" to us are what mean the most to our kids in terms of making their childhood something special.

I'm just trying not to live my life too fast! It seems like my human nature is always fighting for "the next thing" but I really don't want to miss NOW. What we have in this moment is absolutely incredible... A husband who I am insanely in love with and two precious, budding daughters who are my entire universe. We are so blessed!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel ya. Tonight is our Monday too. I often feel like we only live for his weekend. BTW mine is also John :)

Simply Complicated said...

Wonderful thoughts here - I agree completely!

mrs. fuzz said...

AMEN!!! :)