Friday, January 7, 2011

Amazing Baked Oatmeal

I have an amazing recipe that I just couldn't help but share! It's healthy, it's filling, it's cheap, and most importantly, everyone loves it. What more could a mama want??? My whole family loved it this morning and it's one of those meals that just sticks to your bones.

All you need is:

*3 cups of rolled oats
*1 cup of brown sugar (although I cut the sugar in half and added homemade apple sauce and honey to compliment the sweetness)
*1 tablespoon of cinnamon
*1 teaspoon of salt
*2 teaspoons of baking powder
*1 cup of milk
*2 teaspoons of vanilla
*1/2 of melted butter (I cut this by half, too)
*2 eggs, beaten

You simply mix all the dry ingredients and then add the wet ingredients. I seriously think it took me about 3 minutes to prepare! All you do after that is bake it for about 30 minutes on 325. I baked ours last night and then this morning, all I had to do was cut it into individual squares, pour a splash of milk over it, and then microwave it for 30 seconds. It was absolutely incredible!

There are countless variations of this, too! I am most excited for blueberry season when I can add fresh blueberries. I had thought to put some dried cranberries or raisins in it but with my kids, the more simple the better. I think even a mushed up banana would be great in there, as well.

The girls really love dry cereal but I don't love feeding it to them because I don't feel like it has much nutritional value or like it keeps them full. This was a great alternative that I could feel good about feeding them.

Ah, I just love being a housewife. Feeding and taking care of my family makes me feel so happy and I get a huge sense of pride from doing so. I guess that's evident from that fact that I'm so overwhelmingly excited over something as simple as baked oatmeal! :-)

2 comments:

Simply Complicated said...

MMMM I love this recipe! I've got 6 gallons of frozen blueberries and 6 gallons of frozen blackberries in my freezer, lol, so I try every recipe I can to use up berries! :-) We LOVE this recipe, and now that you reminded me of it I think I will make it for breakfast tomorrow! :-)

Tiff said...

I made this and loved it! I made it exactly how the recipe says, and ate it warm with maple syrup and was really good! Though next time I'm going to try it with your variations. I'm excited for when the farmer's market starts back up and can get fresh fruit to put in it!