Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Series of Unfortunate Events

It all started on Monday night when Brooke began to throw up. She threw up about 2 times but was seemingly fine after that. We kept her home from gymnastics on Tuesday morning just to be courteous of the other people but she really was okay.

Over 48 hours later, Adrienne fell sick on Wednesday night. From 10:30 that night until about 1, she threw up 5 times but was completely fine the next morning. She wanted to eat breakfast and kept every bit of it down. Oddly enough, Brooke started to complain that her belly hurt and was very lethargic on Thursday evening but has thankfully been fine since then.

Yesterday morning came and both girls seemed to be going great. We had a nice morning at home but because John was working a double, my dad picked us up and took us to dinner with the family. We had a nice night and apart from Adrienne not eating well (which is not unusual), it was a typical night. About 12 last night I was about to close my eyes for the night and what do you know... Adrienne started throwing up again. The worst part was that it didn't even wake her up so when I tried to reach in her crib to get her, she pitched a fit and threw herself back down, landing in the mess. It was a nightmare. I gave her a quick bath and cleaned her up and let her sleep with me until I knew she was done throwing up. She didn't end up getting sick again, thankfully, and was in her bed a few hours later.

So here we are on Saturday morning... And if I wasn't so tainted from the horrible experiences we've had this week I would say that both girls seem 100 percent fine. However, I happen to wonder if we'll be doing this all over again in another 48 hours? That seems to be the trend. Every time one of them coughs I'm after them with a bowl because in my house, you just never know.

Ya know, we've been fortunate with our children... They never get ear infections (each girl has had maybe 1 or 2), they don't catch all of the colds or respiratory infections that spread like wildfire, and they have really good overall health. HOWEVER, they seem to catch any and every little stomach virus and they always have a very hard time getting over them. I'm not sure how much of is the fact that their bellies are sensitive... They both had nasty reflux as babies, Brooke can't eat certain foods without it sending her to the bathroom, and Adrienne is lactose intolerant. Even so, why would that make them more susceptible to all of these nasty stomach bugs? I don't get it.

So, yeah, it's been a long, long week. I could definitely win an award for the most laundry detergent used or the most time spent scrubbing stains out of clothes, but who's counting?? I'm truly exhausted and fried and my saving grace so far is that John and I have remained healthy. KNOCK ON WOOD!

No comments: