Saturday, February 5, 2011

Work, Work, Work

Today is the beginning of a long week for John. He's in the midst of a 16 hour shift right now (3 this afternoon until 7 tomorrow morning) and he has several other doubles, a training session, security for a high school dance, and 3 court dates between now and next Saturday. Talk about a crazy week!

I'm not in any way, shape or form trying to make this about ME but when I look ahead to this week, I become frustrated. We only have one car right now so that should be interesting but most importantly, I will hardly be seeing my husband who I ADORE. He's my best friend and when he's not around I seriously don't operate to full capacity! Besides that, he's an incredible daddy and I depend on his help with the girls. Worst of all, though, those are more hours for him to subject himself to danger. He NEEDS to be alert every second he's on duty and it's scares me to think of him having to do that for so many hours in a row. He's a great cop though and I know his number one priority is to come home every day.

Once I get off my pity party, however, I remind myself of a few important truths.... For starters, this crazy job with insane hours is what allows me to stay home with our girls! It comes with awesome benefits and a salary that allows for a comfortable lifestyle so it's just silly to complain. Also, John is living his lifelong dream by being a cop. How many people can truly say that? I'm happy that he's doing something he loves and that he's so great at. In addition, I'm mindful of my friends who have husbands in the military and ship them off for months at a time. John is here should an emergency arise, he can stop by from time-to-time (although he's been too busy to do that lately), and I can always call and check on him (assuming he has a second to answer his phone). Military wives don't have all of those luxuries.

I'm trying to keep my head off and focus on all the positives in my life! My mind is kind of fried when I think of the busy week we'll have but it could always be worse. I'm so blessed to have a husband who is even willing to work this hard for his family so who in the world am I to complain?

No comments: