Sunday, November 4, 2007

Mother/Daughter Cold

Brooke has the world's most nasty cold! On Saturday she started to have a runny nose and a really bad cough. Last night at around 10 of her congestion started to really bother her. I heard her crying and normally I would have let her cry for a minute and go back to sleep, but her nose was so clogged that I had to pick her up and clean it out. After 2 rounds of using the nasal aspirator and applying saline drops, Brooke's nose was still completely stuffed. I tried to feed her and put her back to sleep but she couldn't eat and breathe at the same time so all she did was SCREAM. Finally at 12:30 I put her to sleep. I thought this the extent of our problems until morning....

WRONG! Only 15 minutes later, Brooke woke up... And it didn't stop there. It took her until 1:30 to go back to sleep. Next she woke up at 2 only to stay awake until 3. After that she woke up at 3:30, 4, 5:30, and 7. She would scream continually and nothing John or I did would make her stop. Finally we realized that she was running a fever and we gave her some medicine to break it. I also discovered that if I nursed her sitting up then she would breathe just enough to be able to eat a little bit. I don't think that I've ever had such a frustrating night in my entire life. I felt so bad for my poor little princess!

To make matters worse, I woke up with a cold this morning. Yes, Brookie and I share EVERYTHING. I feel like total crap and I'm so exhausted from last night's events that it's so hard to handle it all. I can't just go to sleep and leave Brooke with John because she won't nurse in one big block because of her nose. All day today she's been taking little sips here and there, whenever she can fit them in. She and I have been completely miserable all day long. Not my idea of a fun day! I also missed church which I rarely ever do. I felt bad leaving the church without a pianist but Brooke comes first.

Thankfully my sister loaned us her vaporizer and now Brooke is in her crib sleeping peacefully. I went in to check on her and she sounds great. I'm SO thankful! My mother-in-law and sister-in-law came over to check up on us tonight. It was nice to have the extra hands tonight because both John and I were pretty spent from the night before. My mother-in-law put Brookie to bed for us and she's still sleeping soundly. Man, I sure hope that this lasts for a while. If tonight doesn't go smoothly I think I just might scream!

Well, I would love to say that I'm going to go relax, but I just can't leave a mess. John's been great and he's taken care of our meals and some of the housework, but I'm such a perfectionist about my house. I can't start our week off in disarray. I drive myself crazy! Off I go to clean up...

2 comments:

Alison said...

Ugh, sharing a bug is just the worst! I really hope you two get better soon because I'm going nuts without seeing you around!

And, young lady, YOU need to see a doctor! I'll be happy to take the Brookelet so that you can get that done.

Anonymous said...

You should consider trying a Nosefrida aspirator, it is recommended by pediatricians and is a real lifesaver when the little ones can't breathe.