Friday, July 17, 2009

The Vaccum Saga

I have needed a new vacuum for quite some time now. John and I have weathered 2 crappy vacuums together and we were just plain sick of throwing cheap vacuums away every couple of years. So, last Thursday, we purchased the new Dyson Ball vacuum that is equipped with special attachments and only weighs 12 pounds. It's also insured for 5 years, so that definitely gave us peace of mind about purchasing it. The first time we used it we were astounded by the amount of crud we got up from our carpets and they even looked noticeably cleaner, too. We circulated the vacuum amongst our non-Dyson-owning family members, and they were also mystified (Lol) by the amount of stuff that they were able to get off of their carpets. We were blissfully happy with our amazing, wonderful, spectacular Dyson until..... TODAY.

At about 1:30 I was walking outside with Adrienne to get the mail. This random man said to me, "How old is your baby?" When I replied that she was 7 weeks old, he said, "Oh my goodness! I have a 5-week-old. We have so much in common!" He then proceeded to tell me that he was from Kirby vacuums and if I just let him in our house for 10 minutes he would steam clean our most high-traffic area. Also, he said that he would make a $25 bonus for doing that. Because I'm Jillian and I seem to have faith in all people... even strange, sweaty, vacuum men, I naively agreed with his scheme. I said, "Now, before I let you in, you need to understand that my husband is a cop and he's patrolling right down the road. So, if you're here to chop me in a million pieces or something then he'll be here in about 2 seconds." He laughed at me, of course, and then came on in.

He took his shiny, space-shuttle-look-alike vacuum out and set it up quickly. After he had gone through all of that trouble, he informed me that he would need to stay at least an hour to an hour and a half to earn his $25. I really felt bad for the guy... His pants were too big, his shirt was wrinkled, his tie did NOT match.. AND, he had an 11-month-old and his newborn at home. I had an hour free so I told him that he could do his thing. Long story short, he vacuumed a spot on our carpet 60 times in a row with my prized (or so I thought!) Dyson. When he used his Kirby over that same spot, he got tons and tons of dirt up. I was a bit sick to my stomach to think that my precious new $500 vacuum was actually worthless.

After he had completely captivated me and caused me to doubt my new vacuum, he lowered the "boom" and told me that the product was $1,999. WHAT?!?!??!?!?! However, because they have a "newborn baby special" he could give knock a whopping $99 off the price. Lol! Okay, now that sounds really legitimate. I kindly told him that while I was astounded by his vacuum's capabilities, I couldn't fathom spending so much on the product.

So, the question remains? Was his vacuum demonstration just some gimmick or does my Dyson really suck... And I don't mean the good way that you want a vacuum to suck, either! Has anyone else ever had a run-in with a desperate Kirby guy or am I the only one who has been so blessed???? Lol

2 comments:

*~tRiStYn MiChElLe~* said...

lol...yep! That Kirby guy came to my moms and my sister-in-law's house! My sister-in-law bought one!!!!!!!!!!!!! It does work really well but the Dyson has a good reputation so I'm sure you're safe! :0) Don't worry about it!

rccalyn said...

Ahahahaha...Last Sept/Oct we had the pleasure of hosting a Kirby salesman for over 2 hours! It was sooooo hot (his shirt was soaked through completely), I was visibly pregnant...it was quite a time! We let him in the door because he promised us a free handheld vaccuum (like for a car). Of course, he insisted my vaccuum wasn't good enough. We only had to buy a $1800 Kirby. Eventually, after many refusals on our part, they lowered the price to around $900 (we weren't supposed to tell anyone, it was such a shocking price. Lol). We still refused. But in the process, they demonstrated the "carpet cleaner" shampooing feature - and ended up shampooing our entire downstairs! As they left, the guy had the audacity to request the handheld vaccuum back! We thought he was joking so we said yes. But he took it and ran out the door! After all that, we still said it would be worth it to do it all over again, for a free carpet cleaning! I'm hoping they show up again soon :-P