Monday, September 22, 2008

My Poor, Pitiful Brooke

Today at the park Brookie was going down the slide and the rubber on her shoe caught the side of it, causing her little foot to be bent backwards. She screamed uncontrollably and refused to walk on her foot but it wasn't black and blue or anything. I thought that she was just REALLY upset and sleepy because it was nap time and things are always seemingly worse when you're dealing with a sleepy toddler. I decided to get her home to see if she just needed to rest and settle down and as soon as I put her in the car she instantly went to sleep. She continued to stay sleeping for 3 hours too! I thought we were in the clear...

HOWEVER, when Brooke woke up from her nap she couldn't even stand up in her crib:-( She was not able to walk, even though John and I tried coaxing her with her favorite toys. It was clear that her foot was really hurt so off to the ER we went. After X-rays and a thorough evaluation, it was determined that her ankle wasn't broken (THANK GOD) but just sprained. She has to keep an ace bandage on her foot to help support her and if she's not better in a few days I'm supposed to take her to a pediatric orthopedist. I'm praying that it doesn't come to that though.

Brooke still can't walk, which breaks my heart. She'll get down to go play with something and she simply can't do it so she screams. It seems as though the next days will be draining on me because she can't walk anywhere. I'll do whatever it takes to be there for her but I hate to imagine the frustration that she must feel, seeing as how she's used to being so VERY active.

I have major mommy guilt for letting Brooke get hurt. I know that kids get hurt constantly and that they are easily resilient, but I keep thinking that if I had done this or that differently then she wouldn't have been hurt so badly. I realize that that's a bad way of thinking because accidents are going to happen, but STIL. I want to fix EVERYTHING for her and I just wish that she could be spared from ever being hurt!

I went to put the princess to bed and she was just so pitiful. Her foot was starting to turn black and blue and it was swelling pretty bad. Little tears trickled down her face as I slipped her PJ's over her foot and it killed me to have to put her to bed. I just wanted to hold her for the rest of the night.

Please be praying that Brookie's foot heals quickly and that God would give me the patience during this extra time of neediness for Brooke. Thank you so much!

1 comment:

rccalyn said...

Oh, that sounds just awful! Poor girl! I hope it heals quickly!