Thursday, September 11, 2008

Snuggly Brooke?

Last night we left church at 6:30 because I wasn't feeling too great and before we could even get out of the parking lot Brooke was passed out. I was less than thrilled because I just knew that that would throw off our whole schedule. However, Brooke went immediately into her crib and passed out like normal... UNTIL 10, that is. I heard her fussing so I went in her room to reassure her and she said, "All done night night!" I left her room and she cried for a few minutes but then she just lied in her bed singing and talking. It was really precious to listen to.

After John left for work, at 10:30, I went to check on Brooke again and she was just laying there wide awake. She looked so pitiful... Her hair truly looked like she stuck her finger in the light socket, she was sniffling, and she had little tear running down her cheek. She looked up at me with those big, beautiful blue eyes and said, "Mommy hold you. Carry you." Instantly, without even thinking, I scooped my precious baby up and took her into bed with me. Once we got there, she lied next to me and rubbed my arm for a few minutes and then, only moments later, she drifted peacefully off to sleep. We snuggled the whole entire night and I loved having her right there next to me. I woke up at 3 A.M coughing and Brooke looked up at me and said, "Bless you, Mommy!" Little moments like that are what keep me perpetually addicted to motherhood:-)

Brooke has continued to be extremely snugly and attached to me today. I love it but it's just so weird because she has NEVER been a snuggler. I think that her issue last night was just that she missed me. I have been so sick and she's spent a lot more time away from me than usual and I bet she just needed that reassurance that I was still there for her. I'm so glad that I was able to give her some extra, extra loving!

I was a little bit worried that Brooke would think that sleeping with mommy was the norm, but she went down completely fine tonight and has been sleeping soundly every since. I can breathe a big sigh of relief for that! I must admit that I'll miss having her tonight but I know that it's best for her to sleep on her own.

1 comment:

rccalyn said...

Awww, snuggly toddlers is so rare! Even though it's sometimes for sad reasons, it's so wonderful! ;-)