Friday, August 10, 2007

Happy Birthday Sissy!

Today is my big sister's 24Th birthday! Happy Birthday Alison! That seems so old to me. This is the same girl that I "baptized" in the bathtub? Oh the memories:-) It's so hard to realize that she's a grown woman with a baby of her own because to me she's still that goofy little girl who I spent my childhood years with. Man, we shared some amazing laughs, discoveries, joyful times, sad times, and changes together. It seems like she was there for every single important step in my life, whether it was my first day at a new school, my wedding day, the birth of my baby, etc...

I am honestly getting choked up when I think about how special my sister really is to me. The saying "Sisters by chance, Friends by choice" is something that we quote to one another from time to time. I feel so extremely blessed that I was not only privelged enough to be born into the same family as she was, but that we have chosen to be friends... Best friends. Growing up it was often hard for me to find friendships aside from her because she's all I've ever needed in a girl friend. Other girls at school or wherever just took time away from the time I wanted to spend with my sister. Who needed other friends when I had her for shopping, movies, sleepovers, card games, advice, support and much, much more? To this day, I really have to push myself to branch out from her, where it's safe and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'll find acceptance and support. I hope to give Brooke a little sister one day so that she can share all of things with her that I have shared with Alison.

Another special thing about having a sister is that she knows me better than I know myself. Heaven forbid anything should happen to me, she would be able to tell Brooke most everything there is to know about me. She would remember that I refused to quote Bible verses to my dad when I was little and that he would spank me for being spiteful. She would remember the time I purposely ran over a cone on the highway just to shock her. She would remember that I buy my pants 2 sizes too big and that I think my butt's enormous. She would remember my favorite color, song, meal, drink, movie, and most importantly, my beliefs, ambitions, values, and convictions. THAT is a sister. Who else can do that?

I am so fortunate to be able to have my sister as support as a stay-at-home-mom. She and Nathan are always around to keep Brooke and me company during the days. I don't know how I would get through the days without her. Sure I manage fine on my own, but having Alison around not only affirms to me that I'm a good mom but it helps pass the time. We always throw around ideas for what we're cooking for dinner or tips for raising our babies. It's like having my own personal little moms group right at my fingertips every day!

In essence, it's nice to have my practical, organized, mature, sensible, creative, maticulous, intelligent, and generous sister to keep me in line. Anybody who knows us know that she's everything I'm not! Thanks goodness because I'd be lost without her!

1 comment:

Alison said...

Wow, what a special post! I feel honored to have made it on your blog!

Believe me when I tell you that you are everything written here and more to me! I don't know what I'd do or where I'd be if I didn't have your friendship and love over the past 24 years. Thanks for the fantastic day and the great gifts. You're the best!!