Friday, August 31, 2007

Brooke's 6-Month Checkup

Today I took Brooke to the doctor for her checkup. She weighed in at 17 pounds, 9 ounces and she measured just shy of 28 inches. Crazy, huh? She's in the 80 percentile for weight and in the 97Th of height. I just can't believe how big she is! Oddly enough, they said that her weight gain has slowed down a little bit, according the growth curve chart that they have. Everything else checked out great. The doctor does, however, want to rescreen her poop for blood because the reflux is still an issue. He said that if there's blood in her poop than that will be an indicator that there could be some irritation to her esophagus. Our pediatrician is SO thorough, which is great.

I have some more encouraging things to report about our whole sleeping challenge. Last night Brooke fell asleep in a little over 10 minutes!!!! I followed the prior night's routine of having her bath time followed by rocking and nursing her and singing to her. I then put her in her crib wide awake and she didn't really even scream all that much. She screamed for maybe two minutes and then the rest of the time she was just fussing to keep herself awake. I hopped in the shower and by the time I was out, she was asleep. When I turned the water off and didn't hear her crying I just assumed that John was in there with her calming her down, but to my total shock she was completely passed out.

In addition to Brooke going to sleep by herself, she also is in a deeper sleep using this method. When I was spending hours in her room with her each night, she would usually wake up 30 minutes to an hour after I would put her down. Brooke slept until 1:30 last night before waking up, which is just under 6 hours! I can't believe how quickly she has caught onto all of this!

A final improvement I've seen with Brooke's sleeping is in her nap times. I used to NEVER be able to put her in her crib for nap times. She would only sleep in my arms. I am now able to put her down and even if she wakes up in the transition from my arms to her bed, she will be ok and go right back to sleep. When we get back from vacation I am going to work hard on helping her to nap longer. Like I said, I'm trying to do this one step at a time.

I am so amazed that this whole process hasn't been agonizing on us all. I haven't lost my quiet moments with Brooke that are spent prior to her sleeping and most importantly, I haven't lost her trust. I am so glad that we've buckled down on this and tried to fix her sleeping issues!

Well I'm off to Hudson's birthday party. Happy 1St Birthday Buddy:-)

No comments: