Saturday, September 1, 2007

The Worst Night Ever

Last night was absolutely HORRIFIC:-( We have been doing this whole sleeping thing and it's been going better than we could have ever expected. I wondered why people thought it was so hard because Brooke was so compliant and didn't really scream for long periods of time. I don't know why, but the whole process took a total turn for the worse last night.

We got home from Hudson's birthday party around 8 last night. Brooke took about a 10 minute cat nap on the way home. We had been putting her to bed between 8 and 8:30 but since she was energized from her nap, I thought I would let her crawl for a little bit. She started rubbing her eyes and being a tad bit fussy so gave her a really good feeding and then I put her down at exactly 8:47. Almost immediately after going in her crib she started to scream. It wasn't a hungry or a hurt scream, but like in previous nights, it was an annoyed, angry whine.

I completed my routine of laundry, cleaning, and a shower while John took care of Brooke. I thought for certain that she would be asleep by the time I was done with all of my work. However, the crying continued and continued. It was about 9:25 when I broke down completely.

I was text messaging my mother-in-law and my mom throughout the process, because they have both gone through this with their kids and are familiar with what to expect. Finally at 9:30 I called my mom, just weeping. She told me some really important things that were extremely encouraging. First of all, she emphasized that it's my baby and nobody can tell me what to do, but in her opinion, it would be cruel to take Brooke out of the crib because it would confuse the heck out of her. Brooke wouldn't understand why she had to cry all of that time. Second, she told me that this is the decision I made and that I need to be consistent and strong because I'm the mom here. John also felt the same way that my mom did. He seemed to think that we would be undoing all of the work we had done if we gave in this far into the game.

It was 9:47, exactly an hour later, when the crying finally stopped. It was truly awful for me to listen to. I am so upset about how last night went and I am really hoping that tonight isn't as bad.

Isn't this life though? The second you think you have everything figured out things go the total opposite way that you expect them to. How discouraging! I know that I will be thankful, in the long run, that I persevered through this so I am going to keep it up.

1 comment:

*~tRiStYn MiChElLe~* said...

You are totally doing the best thing for Brooke and as soon as you get past this crying stage, trust me, she will realize that crib means sleeping and she most definitely will get the hang of it. You just have to hang in there. It truly is the worst thing to hear, I know...but it could have been the cat nap that screwed her up. You know something that might be somewhat comforting is something that I read in the babywise book...it says that sometimes babies have to cry to get the excess energy out that they have so they then become truly tired. IT WILL GET BETTER!! That's all i can say and the results are truly AMAZING! Just to give you something to look forward to...ever since Hudson was about probably 7-8 months old, I could lay him down awake in his crib, turn on some music, kiss him goodnight (for naps too) and I wouldn't hear a peep out of him. Until this day...that's what our routine is. And there is no hassel, it's truly wonderful and I don't regret it. Sorry, I'm babbling but I really just want to make you feel better about this whole thing. You can always call me for some encouragement during these tough times!!! You're a wonderful mom and I admire the fact that you are determined. Talk to you soon! (sorry so long!)