Wednesday, September 12, 2007

New Bedtime Struggles

Before we left for Florida, Brookie's sleeping issues were mostly resolved and everything seemed as perfect as it could possibly be. She was getting ample sleep at night, John and I were given many hours of alone time, and most importantly, Brooke was a happier and well rested baby. In Florida none of our sleeping habits or tactics were applicable and once we got there, I knew that all of our progress was reversed. Alison suggested that we waited until we got back to tackle our battles but I was so eager to dig in that I worked on these things before vacation. WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN TO HER????? Things are worse than ever now.

Last night I gave Brooke her bath and then nursed her to sleep right around 8. I put her in her crib and she was completely out. She woke up because I made a loud noise by pulling the shower curtain shut (my fault for having to have everything perfect). Prior to our trip to Florida she would have just cried for a minute and put herself back to sleep. I guessed that maybe she would revert back to her old ways and do the same thing. WRONG! After I went in and reassured her, rubbed her back, and played her music for her, she continued to scream. I went into my room to fold some laundry and I heard her screaming hysterically. I ran to her room (because the cry seemed alarming) to something I didn't expect. Brooke had pulled her crib bumper down and she had her little arms tangled around the slats in her crib. Yes, my little baby has made a new discovery. I know she was hurt because her arms had little red marks on them. I picked her up and loved her because I think it's cruel to let a hurting baby cry.

After picking Brooke up my goal was to love her and nurse her and then put her back down. Well, she bit me 3 times in a row and then continued to scream out in pain. It was awful. At that point it was 9:30 and John was just walking in the door from court. It was awhile before Brooke calmed down and then she was all hyper. She didn't wind up going to sleep until 10:30. It was so frustrating to see her that upset. I felt very helpless.

I tied the bumper very tight today and I'm hoping that she won't be able to get hurt again. However, it just scares me to know that she could get hurt and be that upset right within her crib.

I'm not sure what to do about Brooke's sleep issues anymore. I only want what's best for her. I could leave her to cry in her room, risking her getting hurt again, but have a properly rested baby the next day. OR, I could have a happy, non-screaming baby and nighttime who's a grump the next day. Which is better? Ugh.. I just don't know anymore!

No comments: