Saturday, September 15, 2007

7 Months Old Today!

I'm playing my monthly game of reliving the wonderful day of Brooke's birth. What a special, magical, amazing day that was for me. As painful as my med-free labor was, I couldn't even describe that pain to anyone because it truly was a distant memory once I held my beautiful baby in my arms. When I think of Brooke's birth, I am honestly almost always brought to tears as I think of how wonderfully my life has changed from that moment on.

While I was in a store in Florida I read this quote: "Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born, I loved you. Before you were here even an hour, I would have died for you. This is the miracle of love." I stood in the store with tears in my eyes because those words are so true. I would die for Brooke in a heartbeat. I would give up anything in this universe for her to be happy, successful, healthy and safe. I love her so deeply and so unconditionally that it sometimes shocks me. How can you love someone who gives you so little in return? Think about... She needs me to do everything for her but she can do virtually nothing for me. Somehow being a mom has captivated me and it makes me want to give and give and give of myself for my little princess. The exhaustion, the spit up, the fussy moments, the lack of adult interaction... Somehow, these things don't matter to me anymore. They are simply things that are dull in comparison to the smiles and coos Brooke gives me.

As I look down and my little girl, who is nursing right now, I feel a bit sad that she has already grown so independent. She's not content to lay in my arms for hours anymore. She wants to be crawling or rolling or exploring whatever else she's discoverd. In 7 short months she has become a unique individual with a distinct personality and a beautiful smile. As bittersweet as growing up is, I think that it's easier to embrace it and grow with it instead of trying to hold on to the times that are already past. With that being said, I look forward to the next exciting phases that are quickly approaching.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is so hard to believe that Brooke is 7 months old. She has grown so fast. She if it is anyway possible gets more precious with each passing moment. It is so much fun to watch her developing her own little personality. She is a true Gem and we just love her so much!