Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Lesson in Faith

The wife of a pastor of one of our sister churches just found out that she has cancer today. She has tree children and my heart just goes out to all of her family.

This woman is probably one of the sweetest people I've ever met in my whole life. If you speak with her for any period of time it is evident that she loves the Lord. She fills the room with warmth simply by looking at her because she constantly has a smile on her face. She is always one of the first people to offer word of encouragement to anyone who she speaks with. I think so highly of her because her life is such a reflection of how Christian's should really love one another. She played the piano at my wedding. She has also sent me letters of encouragement in the mail and helped me with some things on the piano.

If you watched her at church last night you would have never known that this whole cancer thing was on her mind. She was friendly, happy, and optimistic about everything. She complimented me for cooking the church dinner and asked me how Brooke was doing. What had me most impressed, however, is how she sat in the worship service praising and worshipping God. She looked so untainted by this seemingly catastrophic event in her life.

As I looked at this woman and I reflected on my own life I honestly felt guilty. When I thought Brooke had leukemia, I was a total basket case. I couldn't stop crying and I was pretty miserable. I didn't allow God's peace and warmth surround me and comfort me at that time in my life. I pushed Him away and refused His ministry to me. I questioned why MY baby had to have problem. I didn't accept the fact that God is sovreign and in total, complete, absolute control of the events of my life and my family.

This woman, on the total opposite side of the spectrum as me, has told people that she wants to use this as a testimony for God. Here she is, probably more frightened than she ever has been, and she's already thinking how she can glorify our Lord in the midst of her valley. Wow, I am so encouraged. I want faith like that.

I want faith that doesn't depend on the circumstances around me. I want faith that doesn't waver whenever I don't get me way. I want faith that's stronger than cancer, than sickness, than my own insecurities, than the balance of my bank statement. I want faith that knows beyond the shadow of a doubt that God really will provide for all of my needs. I want faith that knows that God is 100 percent aquainted with what I'm feeling and that He will work ALL things together for good. Lord, give ME that kind of faith. If we don't have faith that God will take care of us, we really don't have much, do we?

What an extraordinary lesson for us all. I am so, so far from where I need to be and I am so thankful that God has already used this woman in my life to remind me of that.

Everyone please keep this family in your thoughts and prayers.

1 comment:

alissa kay said...

Wow...that just makes you so humble doesn't it? It's amazing how much I complain every day about stupid little things and someone who actually has something to complain about is praising God through her circumstances. There is a little 6th grade girl (her name is Chamille) at the school I'm teaching at who has had cancer for 4 years and she is the exact same way. The doctors don't expect her to live another month, but she is so happy and content and she smiles all the time! She is a major rebuke to me and how I act. Sometimes it takes big acts of God to make us realize what we're like.