Monday, September 17, 2007

Brooke has Thrush:-(

A few days ago I noticed that Brooke had some white spots in her mouth. I had a cold sore and I wondered if maybe she had one too. The last couple of days I have been looking in her mouth and the white spots have been spreading. I called the on-call pediatrian this weekend (who didn't happen to be Brooke's regular doctor) and he said that this could wait until the weekend was over as long as Brooke didn't act grumpy and her mouth wasn't bleeding.

I called first thing this morning to make the appointment. Luckily we got her in to be seen at 10:30. The doctor took one look in her mouth and immediately agreed that it was thrush. She also has a yeast infection in her diaper area. My poor baby! Now the fun part begins.. We have to apply this nasty ointment to ALL the white spots in Brooke's mouth (and there are lots of them) 4 times daily for the next 10 days. The doctor said that a lot of babies don't like it because the taste is very strong. I'm dreading this! We also have to put a special cream on her bottom just as often. As long as Brooke gets better, I don't care what we have to do. I just hope that this thrush goes away and stays away.

As for me, Brooke's pediatrician said that I could put Brooke's ointment on my nipples to kill any yeast that could be hanging out there. He said that if I get cracked nipples and am in obvious pain then I'll need to go to my doctor to be put on medicine. Right now I'm just hoping that the problem won't come to that.

So that's what's new and exciting with us. I wish I had more interesting news to report but I just don't! Lol

1 comment:

*~tRiStYn MiChElLe~* said...

Poor baby!! I bet that stuff doesn't taste very good to her either! Hopefully it will go away soon! Good luck!