Thursday, September 20, 2007

Breastfeeding in Public



First an foremost, I would like to just say that I put this picture on here ALL BY MYSELF! I had NO help and I'm very proud! This is a picture of Brooke pulling up in her crib. Isn't she precious? :-)

Breastfeeding in public used to be this simple thing. Brooke and I would sit quietly on a bench (or any seat we could find), I'd slip on my nursing cover and then she would nurse until her heart's content. Sure, Brooke took a long time to eat, but she was so tiny and still that it was a piece of cake.

NOW... nursing in public is this big production. Brooke will get grumpy and crabby like she wants to eats but then when I try to feed her, she is fussy because I have to cover her up. It's hilarious because at random times she will pull my nursing cover and expose EVERYTHING beneath it. If I try to tuck her back under she will also protest that! I then am left having to juggling fixing my nursing bra, keeping my baby from falling on the ground and trying not to indecently expose myself, all at the same time. It's just so crazy for Brooke to eat in public anymore! Honestly though, my princess needs to eats and I will feed her regardless of how challenging it can often be.

Another thing that's been on my mind about breastfeeding in pubic is the attention I get. People will say things to me about what I'm doing almost every time I feed Brooke when we're out. It's not that the comments are mean... They're things like, "When a baby's gotta eat, a baby's gotta eat." I've also heard, "Breastfeeding is a beautiful thing." Today at Wegman's this older lady gave me this whole speech on how some woman at her church had to breastfeed her baby during the service. I was just staring at her trying to act interested. Why did she feel the need to tell me that??????? I am a friendly person and I love meeting new people, but why is breastfeeding such a big deal? Yes, I'm nourishing my child. If I was feeding my baby manufactured formula in a bottle would anyone comment on that? I'm afraid not!

I also feel that because so many people don't breastfeed there's such a curiosity about it. I rarely see mothers breastfeed while I'm out and about. I am not knocking formula feeding all together, because everyone must do what they feel is best for their baby, but I really feel like so many people don't give breastfeeding the effort and commitment that is necessary in order to be successful at it. I've had mothers say to me, in regards to my breastfeeding, "Oh, my kid wouldn't latch on." "I don't have enough milk." "My baby didn't really every "get" it." Do they think that Brooke just breastfed perfectly from the second she was born? NO! It took dedication and hard work.

The American Board of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding for at least 6 months. Why not follow that? People so religiously follow all sorts of other recommendations for their children but for some reason many of them have neglected this.

Wow, I went off on a total tangent about breastfeeding. Sorry, I was just thinking about much it means to me and I only get sad when I see people formula feeding because I know what they are missing out on. Enough of my ranting and raving (for now, anyways!). I'm going to bed!!

1 comment:

*~tRiStYn MiChElLe~* said...

I know what you are saying but I also see the other side of it. I breast fed for 6 months and went to formula for 6 months. Hudson was always a healthy boy no matter where he got his nutrition, formula or breast milk so I wouldn't at all say that formula is a terrible thing. Breastfeeding is difficult at the beginning and some people just don't have the patience and I think that's okay. To each his own...it's a choice that parents have to make. They used to promote breastfeeding because it was cheap and convenient. Now breastfeeding is promoted because of nutritious reasons. I think that it's really just a change in society and you can't let a few people who comment get to you because it's just a lack of knowledge on their part. They didn't used to teach that "breast is best" that's why people are probably curious. You know what I mean...sorry to get off on my own little tangent!! lol. hope your day is going great! See you soon!