Saturday, August 9, 2008

To Wean Or Not To Wean? That Is The Question...

I'm struggling with the whole weaning issue with Brooke. Here's what's going on: She's only nursing once a day, which is first thing in the mornings. However, lately it's been hit or miss. Right now she hasn't nursed in 3 mornings and she doesn't act bothered by it or upset by it. In fact, when she wakes up in the mornings, the first thing she asks for now is milk (from her cup). You may be thinking "So? What's her problem then?" Well, the problem is that if she wakes up early (like 6 A.M. or so) then I can get her back to sleep for at least another hour and half by bringing her back to bed with me and latching her on. I hate throwing that heavy artillery down the drain! Besides, I can't think of a more relaxing way to spend my morning than snuggling with and nursing my girl. Ugh, she's just too big:-(

I know that I could cut nursing out 100 percent and it would be no problem because Brooke's taken the lead with weaning. I've really felt strongly about child-led weaning and that's something that I'm really proud that we could do. Just a few months ago she was completely attached to nursing and it amazes me just how quickly she's changed her mind about it. She used to follow me around all day asking to "nass" and screaming and now she comes up to me with a big smile on her face and says "nass" with a little giggle. I'm really choked up now as I reminisce about those countless days and hours we spent on the living room coach breastfeeding and while I know that I don't want to nurse her until she's 7, I wish that I could have those quiet mommy-Brookie moments back.

So I guess my question is when do I say "enough is enough?" I still have milk ( not much, but some) and tomorrow morning if she asks I'm not going to refuse it to her. At what point do I draw the line though? I just don't know! This subject is so hard because it's very emotional for me. I want to do what's best for Brooke and at this point I'm not sure what the best thing is. I wish I had all the answers...

1 comment:

rccalyn said...

You're right, it's tough to know when. Marissa was done at 19 months, but only because I miscarried and needed to take an antibiotic that wasn't breastfeeding friendly and my doctor really thought I needed that specific one. I think we could/would have kept going at least a few more months if I hadn't had to stop her, but she honestly didn't even ask to nurse (at least that I remember) once I decided to go ahead with the antibiotic. At that point in my life - I really was glad to stop. But now that I think about it, I miss it so badly! I think if I was in your situation, I'd keep going a little longer. I remember dreading not being able to nurse her back to sleep and cuddle like that in the morning, especially when that was her only nursing session. But I seem to remember you're wanting baby #2, so maybe weaning would be your best bet right now :-) Either way, I think you'll both be fine with whatever happens. However (not to make this a book or anything!) - thinking back on it (in fact, just thought of this like last week - lol), I do believe that all the problems we had with her and her sleeping when we visited Georgia for Christmas - I think she was still adjusting since I kinda had to just stop all of a sudden (even though she had been slowing herself quite a bit, I still feel like I made the decision for her). So make sure when you decide to wean, you don't have anything else huge going on! All that to say, I don't think you two have much to worry about whichever way you decide. Good luck!