Friday, January 16, 2009

"Beautiful, Beautiful Baby"

Brooke had me cracking up this morning! I had put her hair in pigtails and they were so stinking cute. I told her (as I do every chance I get) that she was beautiful. The next thing I knew, she was standing in front of the mirror saying, "I'm so beautiful! Beautiful, beautiful baby!" Lol! It's amazing how quickly they learn about vanity.

I once heard Dr. James Dobson (a Christian Psychologist) say that we shouldn't tell our daughters that they're beautiful too often because of the reasons I just listed above. It kind of struck me as odd when he said that, but I suppose he has a valid point. I wish I could track that message down so I could get some more of his perspective. Anyways, because of that, I thought about this episode with Brooke and all day long have been wrestling with if I really want her knowing just how beautiful she really is. Does that make sense? I think it's healthy for her to know that to mommy and daddy she is the most beautiful and special thing in the universe, but unfortunately, as she grows, she will just be another person in this huge world. It's an awful realization, I realize, but it's true. I want her to know that she's beautiful, but I do NOT want her to think that my love for her is because of that. I want her to see that I love her because God sent her into our family and because HE has made her special. As long as those truths are established, I don't think that there's anything wrong with telling Brooke she's beautiful. I just don't want her thinking that she's more beautiful than anyone else and I guess that if she becomes cocky we'll have to address that! Lol

Well, my "beautiful, beautiful baby" is sleeping so I'm going to try and be productive now! Once she wakes up, all bets are off!

2 comments:

*~tRiStYn MiChElLe~* said...

I dont think there is anything wrong with telling Brooke she is beautiful!! You and John are to be her consistency so that when she hits the teen years where she may question that...you can say as you always have that God made her beautiful inside and out!! Keep it up! :0)

On another note..we really miss seeing you guys!! We NEED to make plans soon!! I can't wait to find out what you're having! Good Luck! Post it promptly! lol.

Anonymous said...

I loved her pigtails!!! She's a very beautiful little girl. I am so thankful that I got to see you both during our very short trip. The trip wouldn't have been the same without you two there!!!