Sunday, January 4, 2009

Branching Out

I was at Barnes and Noble with Brooke a few weeks ago and she started playing with this little boy. I started talking to the boy's mom and we really hit it off... We had a lot in common too! For instance, she's a stay-at-home-mom and is pregnant with her second baby in April. It was just weird to meet somebody as outgoing and talkative as myself. Many people I encounter are very withdrawn. Anyways, I was shocked because before she left she asked for my number so we could hook up again sometime, so I reluctantly gave it to her. She also gave me her number which, I admit, threw carelessly in my diaper bag. I never really intended on making a new friend at Barnes and Noble!

Much to my shock, the lady called me tonight. I was in the middle of getting Brooke ready for bed so I asked to call her back. The whole time I thought to myself... Do I REALLY want a new friend? What if she's a psycho path? Should I waste my time returning her phone call? Seriously, it was worse than calling John for the first time after we started seeing each other! Lol! After much thought, I called her back. As it turns out, she's a Christian (which is GREAT) and she's looking for some friends to help her fill her days. We talked for a bit and agreed to meet at Barnes and Noble on Friday so the kids can play and then grab some lunch afterwards. I'm really excited to make a new friend now!

I have always, always struggled to see a need for friendship. As a kid we moved several times so by the time we made it to New York it was hard to find motivation to put down new roots. Because of our moves I think I depended more on my family (mainly my wonderful sister), due to the fact that I knew they weren't going anywhere. I've always relied heavily on my family (and now John and his family also) to be my friends and supporters. I'm seeing as I get older, however, that there is nothing in the universe wrong with building new friendships and letting others see the real me. So, here's to friendship!

2 comments:

Alison said...

Sounds fun! I'm happy to hear you made a new friend!

Anonymous said...

That is so exciting! I envy your bubbly outgoing personality. Enjoy your new friend! ~Tammy